[Conversations] Export Canvas Messages

Hello! I would like to suggest a feature in Canvas messages that enables a user to export conversation and message chains for external archiving. As an instructor, it would be useful to easily save student communications to their student files. If you agree, please add your vote!  @leslie_whalley  

Added to Theme

27 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @lukus_staup  and  Welcome to the Canvas Community! We've opened this idea for voting, and wanted to let you know that we've edited it slightly to remove any mentions of "email"; Canvas does not have built-in email.

lukus_staup
Community Explorer

Thank you Stefanie! I appreciate the edit!

cjhodge
Community Member

Agreed- this would also be useful for documenting/archiving/sharing conversations related to student issues of many sorts that need external review.

aaron_bahmer
Community Contributor

I fully agree with the reasoning of both @cjhodge and @lukus_staup for this suggestion. Please implement soon!

rrodgers1
Community Member

Because documentation is such an important concept in education, wouldn't it be useful if Canvas would allow for message threads to be printed out? Currently, at least from what I can find, a user has to open each message, copy and paste it into an external file, such as a Word document, and print it out or save it. Maybe the engineers could work on creating printable, threaded messaging?

aaron_bahmer
Community Contributor

Just for clarity, we are talking about Canvas Conversations (the Inbox).

rrodgers1
Community Member

Yes

aboyce
Community Novice

This would be so helpful for documenting in student files rather than having to go through and copy paste each individual message. 

lukus_staup
Community Explorer

Hello @Stef_retired , do we have an update on this idea? 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lukus_staup 

We don't have new information to share about this.