[Conversations] Export Canvas Messages

Hello! I would like to suggest a feature in Canvas messages that enables a user to export conversation and message chains for external archiving. As an instructor, it would be useful to easily save student communications to their student files. If you agree, please add your vote!  @leslie_whalley  

Added to Theme

27 Comments
JamieJenkins
Community Novice

That is an excellent idea. We could also electronically file interactions with other observers too.

LindsayAdams
Community Explorer

Adding my support for this idea. We've been asked by school administrators to find a way to archive Canvas communications in case they need to be reviewed after a user is deleted.

mahdimn
Community Member

Not only downloading or exporting Canvas messages, I think a tiny email client that gives basic capabilities of working with messages, or even embedding it into well-known email clients such as Microsoft Outlook would also be very helpful. You don't even need a separate software for it, as a tiny Outlook Plugin that is able to communicate with Canvas can also handle that.

NShaffer
Community Member

Especially for remote learning, when instruction is in replies to email questions, it would be helpful to be able to print out a complete email chain.  Right now, browser will just print the portion of the email chain displayed in the active window.  Even if you scroll down through the email chain, to change what is in the active window, you can't print the entire email chain.

rfrickle
Community Member

Yes!  This is really basic, and as others have noted, there are myriad reasons this is a needed option. It should be as easy to do as downloading speed grader comments.

KSTEINMAN
Community Explorer

I agree.  There is definitely a need to be able to print out a complete message thread in Canvas.  This could be extremely useful for any kind of student appeal process. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme