cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export/Import New Quizzes/Question Banks

Export/Import New Quizzes/Question Banks

(21)

I am an adjunct instructor at two colleges, both of which use Canvas. I teach the same courses, pretty much, and love the new quiz format (I also understand that old quizzes will be going away at some point). I want to be able to create a quiz with question bank in one course, and export it (and its question bank) to the other course. I know that I can share within institutions (even though this is currently not working), but I need a way to get one quiz to the other institution. 

I have tried to export the entire course, and only import the selected quiz. It shows it cannot find it. I have done extensive asking and searching on these forums, and I am still told that I just can't do it. So, I think this feature needs to be included as soon as possible. 

Adjunct instructors are already paid less for our time, and when I have to reconstruct each quiz and exam for every new course, it's a huge time drain. It's extremely frustrating, as I have all of the materials in one course, and seems like something I should be able to do. I use question banks to give students random questions, and to reuse questions on later quizzes/exams. 

At the very least, if we could just get a way to export/import the question banks only, that would be a huge time saver. Currently, I know I can create a question bank in old quizzes, export/import that bank, and import that bank into a new quiz format. This is great, but if I have some banks/quizzes that were never in the old quiz format, there is no way to transfer those that I know of. I also can't bank all the cool new question types. Smiley Sad

I'm hoping this can be added to a release soon, or at least before the old quizzes go away.

Thanks!

28 Comments
awilliams
Surveyor

Hi, rcordeiro. I haven't tested this but I am wondering if you have tried sharing a blank course full of your item banks to Canvas Commons? What is Canvas Commons?

ami17han
Surveyor

The fact that I cannot import any of the dozens of New Quizzes I created last  year is astounding to me. What a horrible design flaw. How is this not tagged with a huge warning when making the new quiz - WILL NOT IMPORT?

rcordeiro1
Surveyor II

I have tried to share the quiz alone via Commons, and it does not work. I have not tried an entire course as I don't have the power at my institution to create a Sandbox course. I may try it with an old course, though. I really just want to import/export the quizzes with banks like you can the old quizzes. I am spending hours right now literally copying from one course to another.

rcordeiro1
Surveyor II

They really need to develop a way to export/import these quizzes as-is if they are planning to get rid of the old quiz format eventually. SO MANY people using Canvas are adjunct college instructors and we have to work from different institutions, so we need a way to copy from one institution to another. Also, if you want to share with a colleague at another institution? No collaboration here!

wardex
Surveyor II

I cannot believe we are unable to export new quizzes. 

shustwit
Surveyor

I'm a new user, and I'm very surprised this is not an option.  It seems like such an obvious thing that needs to exist.

richinsk
Surveyor

I was struggling to import/export new quizzes quiz banks, and I found some help on this thread.

https://seattlecentral.instructure.com/courses/969196/pages/importing-and-exporting-quizzes

I think that this might solve the problem!

Thanks,

Kevin

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

@rcordeiro1  - I found I could import new quizzes by finding them under Assignments when selecting the content from an imscc export file.  They did not appear under Quizzes.

I imported a quiz that had a new quizzes item bank - interestingly, the item bank does not import, but the quiz is able to access the bank and present questions from it.  But, I am in the same Canvas instance, and I don't know if that would work in Canvas for a different school.  I wanted to test in the Free Teacher Canvas, but New Quizzes is not yet available there.

urbansk6
Explorer II

I can't believe this doesn't exist either. I'm a graduate student who's been turning a bunch of professors' paper quizzes into electronic ones to help with the transition to online learning, and as much as I wanted to use the new features on New Quizzes, I just couldn't live without the ability to export quizzes (and as brilliant as these professors are, many of them just aren't experienced with this kind of technology, so even the export-import process can be a hassle sometimes—the question banks would make it even harder). Needless to say, I was quite frustrated when I realized Classic Quizzes won't be supported forever, and I'm anxious that this ability won't be added before my Classic Quizzes inevitably get killed off. I'm already going to have to convert dozens of them. I really need the ability to move them around quickly.

bjones22
Surveyor

Hey all,

i just had an Aha! moment with Canvas New Quizzes on this issue of their Export/Import not working. Here's what i did and now it seems to be working!

This past weekend i made a 20-problem Canvas "New Quiz" without making an Item Bank or anything and wanted to copy the quiz between sections (and then modify slightly). There are menu items to do it in the Canvas New Quiz: "Copy To" for example seemed the most relevant, but it copies and only puts 1 (out of 20!) of the questions in the new section. So i tried exporting from Canvas Settings to a QTI file, and doesn't work. (so far i only have seen Classic Quizzes working with QTI files).

Interestingly out of the 20 questions, it wasn't question 1 that copied over, but rather question 5. (This was a hint i found out later.) But it was 2 am so i slept on it last "night"; but, just to be safe i used menu item "Duplicate" which worked and made a "Quiz Copy" (just being careful because i only had 1 copy of the Quiz! and didn't want to accidentally delete it or something). This ended up being fortuitous.

I think the "New Quiz" bug in Canvas happens when i moved the questions around after making the quiz. I had moved 4 items in front of what became Question 5. But somehow when it makes a duplicate like "Quiz Copy", this bug seems to be gone.

My thought after sleeping was to try to use New Quiz "Copy To" on this duplicate Quiz Copy in the same section as the Quiz itself. Just did it and it worked! All 20 questions came over into the new section as Quiz Copy.

Wanted to share that.

Cheers!

austinst
Surveyor

@Nancy_Webb_CCSF 

I tried it on a coworker's account. I can access the quiz, pull questions from the bank, see that it is linked to the bank, but still not the bank. 

So I tried creating a new quiz where I manually included every question from the bank. Not the selection where it says "add all/random" but the "+" button that adds each question individually into the quiz.

If you export your course, and select only this quiz, each question comes with it, which you can then copy in to a new quiz bank.

There has got to be an easier way than this, but this is better than either losing the bank entirely or having to start from scratch.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

@austinst, thanks for sharing your experience with banks. That's a great workaround for now.

It is so very odd that the bank seems to have copied along with the quiz and yet can't be accessed.  It exists where new quizzes exist, outside of Canvas, I get that. If you copy a new quiz from one of your courses to another, I can see you don't need to copy the bank because it belongs to you anyway.

A bank belongs to the user who created it in the school's Canvas account.  When I view Item Banks in new quizzes, I can choose to share with anyone in our school Canvas account, what a shame we can't share it outside the account.  This document says you can share with "another user in New Quizzes," but it is only your Canvas instance's New Quizzes.  Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-share-an-item-bank-in-New-Quizzes 

Also sharing the bank gives full control of the bank, including rights to delete it, so I'd be very careful about sharing. Would be wonderful if you could share with yourself in another school, but you'd sure need to be careful about making changes. Better to have a copy of it.  Vote on this idea, I just did:  https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/New-Quizzes-Ability-to-copy-entire-item-banks/...

You could share your workaround idea!

wardex
Surveyor II

@austinst I seem to be having some trouble with your suggestion.

I don't seem to be able to export just the new quiz.

I can export the whole course and when I look inside the imscc file, I can see that the new quiz is there, but the xml file just links to the course content - it doesn't actually have the question. 

I tried manually adding each question to a quiz and then exporting and that didn't change anything. 

Can you explain further?

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

Finally I had a case where a course with new quizzes was developed in a different Canvas instance, and I was given access to it for testing.  I confirm what you say, @rcordeiro1 - you can't transfer new quizzes between schools.  In the same school, it's not a problem, except maybe question banks.

When you export a course from school 1 and import the imscc package to Canvas in a different school (school 2), it doesn't include new quiz content. In the school 2 course, it becomes a non-working external tool assignment rather than a new quiz, and the external tool link still points to the original school 1's LTI!  Editing the URL to school 2's LTI turns it into a new quiz, but the content did not transfer so it's basically a blank new quiz.

I contacted support about this, reported a problem.

Caitlincarmendy
Surveyor

Would like to be able to copy question banks from new quizzes to old quizzes not just old to new

rcordeiro1
Surveyor II

I thought that maybe Canvas had fixed this, but I just got off chat with support, and it STILL is not an option. To be clear, I am trying to export from one institution and import to a new institution. It works great from one class to another at the same institution, so that's not an issue. 

I am now going to spend several hours copying over content because I forgot about this, and made my new content using New Quizzes and not Old Quizzes. 😞

rcordeiro1
Surveyor II

@austinst Is there a way to turn this export selection on? My course export just starts the entire download, it does not let me pick things to export. 

HienDN
Surveyor

This morning I erased my shell by accident.  But I had the shell saved as an export package. I reimported the package into a fresh shell...and guess what?  All the New Quizzes are gone! -_-

So yea...200+ New Quizzes gone without a warning label of some kind that the export package does not export New Quizzes.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

@HienDN, did you use the Reset Course Content button in Settings to erase your course?  If you did, then your administrator should be able to recover the original course shell for you.  When you use that button, it deletes your course and creates a new shell.  Deleted courses can be restored.

HienDN
Surveyor

I did, and Canvas support was able to restore it for me.  Phew!

But after this thing, I realize that New Quizzes exported to a package will only work if the original shell is still on your account.  If you reset the original shell, then importing that package does nothing.  New Quizzes will fail to make copies in this case.  And that is super odd!  You would think exporting the course would make a copy of those New Quizzes.  But I think what it is doing is just looking for the original copy on your account and recopy it from there instead of from the export package -_-

Edit:

And I spoke to soon.  The questions on the build page of the restored New Quizzes are gone again.  It has something to do with the original shell I had it built in.  I reset that one and it makes the questions in the New Quizzes on the restored shell disappear afterwards.

I’m not sure if this is because the shell I used originally was a shell given to me as part of a teacher training program of if it’s the way it is on New Quizzes.  Right now I’m suspecting that whichever shell you built the New Quizzes in originally, it is stored on that shell and on that shell only.  Exporting it to another shell as a saved package or direct export only links back to the original shell.  I don’t know, these are just my guesses.

I also noticed that the item banks never disappeared since that is always on my account.