[Rubrics] Export aggregate rubric scores to identify strengths and weaknesses of class as a whole

I'd like Canvas to be able to generate a single table that shows the rubric line item scores for all students.  Then I would easily be able to tell which items students struggled most with, and plan subsequent lessons accordingly.

Added to Theme

91 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
garth
Community Champion

I too am late to this conversation, but agree with it's importance.

Recently I have been asked for data that takes this idea just a bit further: analysis of sub-account level rubrics.

How are student performing on rubrics across multiple courses, or multiple departments?

I have created an idea that addresses Rubric data in more general terms:

I believe that if the data was available in general, institutions could work with the data to create reports that meet their specific requirements.  Please vote for this idea as well, if you find value in having the ability to do additional analysis and reporting around rubric data.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jbower2 ‌ thank you taking the time to post this idea. Many contributors mentioned outcomes but I never asked the necessary follow up questions. Can you or any other contributors elaborate on why you chose not to use the outcomes in your rubric?

sylvia_read
Community Member

From what I understand, to get the rubric data criterion by criterion, I would essentially have to duplicate each criterion in an outcome. That seems like a massive duplication of effort, one that I will likely have to do until this feature is built in to Canvas. As others have said, I need this for our accreditation reporting. 

garth
Community Champion
f_deenen
Community Novice

I want to be able to export the results of ANY rubric I use for grading- not just rubrics linked to outcomes. 

ahoffman
Community Novice

I'd like to echo Fleur's thoughts. Exporting results for each rubric row for any rubric would be ideal. It would help me see trends in student performance which would allow me to drive my instruction. 

For example, I could easily use the student by student/row by row data to determine average points earned on each row. That would show me what was high/low, on average. I could also count how many students earned (for example), 3 points. vs. 4 points vs. 0 points. This would help me see a heatmap of where students were "close" to the standard expectation compared to a group of outliers pulling down an average. 

f_deenen
Community Novice

Mccall Smith Could you please give us an update of this feature request. It is on the rader. Will it be fixed in 2018? 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@f_deenen  

Thanks for the inquiry.  You'll see on the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=9b6ac576-a2a9-48dc-836a-a9aa165bf...‌ that there are a couple priorities around rubrics that are in different stages of the development process.  This idea is not part of the scope of those projects though.  Please continue to follow this idea and it will be updated if/when updates are available.  Also, follow the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=9b6ac576-a2a9-48dc-836a-a9aa165bf...‌ to keep an eye on what priorities are in the dev process!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.