Export to CSV on any page presenting tabular data

0 Likes
(1)

As a new user of Canvas, I am frankly flabbergasted that there is no Export button on a page presenting tabular data, such as People.  This is hugely helpful, for example, to load student emails into into a spreadsheet and on, say, to a Google Form send list.

There is a rule of thumb in scientific data webapp UI design: if there is tabular data, there is an Export button. I think this rule of thumb should be adopted throughout Canvas.

If not, I'd be very interested to hear why Canvas is intentionally hobbled in this functionality.

I realize there are workarounds. Workarounds are not responsible UI design, they are just that - working around a software failure.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing this idea, @samhokin . We're not able to move a request for "all the places" forward for discussion, as this forum is where our members assign priorities to what they'd like our teams to work on most.

Your request specific to the People page is currently the topic of conversation at  Group Roster Export

If there are different specific areas of Canvas presenting tabular data where you feel a csv download would be beneficial, please write each one as a separate idea.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Please note that instructors can export their class rosters to a csv from New Analytics, as described in the View Reports section of  How do I view and download reports in New Analytic...

samhokin
Community Member
Author

Thanks, Stephanie, that provides a functionality but does not address my suggestion that there always be an export button. I'm sure there are a number of ways I can export students with a bit of work. It shouldn't require work. I'll make my suggestions specific to each page where I think an export button should be, since this clearly doesn't "resonate" as an overall User Experience concept for you and the devs.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@samhokin  Idea Conversations is where our members suggest specific singular requests for an enhancement to a feature so that we can assess the need for each one. Broader general conversations that touch upon most or all areas of Canvas are generally part of a school admin's regular conversations with your Customer Success Manager (CSM). Our documentation around Idea Conversations and the development process provides more detail:

What is the feature development process for Instructure products?

How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community?