[Gradebook] Exported Canvas Gradebook Columns Should Look Exactly Like Canvas Gradebook

At the end of the semester I have to submit to my college administration a copy of all the grades in the Canvas Gradebook for every course that I teach.

Below is an excerpt of a Canvas Gradebook for a course. Note that the columns show the weights for my grading groups (categories) and the Total columns contains the overall weighted semester percent score.

Gradebook_Columns_Excerpt.JPG

These are the columns that I would like to submit to my administration and in general to see when I download the Canvas Gradebook to upload scores from my Excel spreadsheet.

But below is an excerpt of the exported Canvas Gradebook. The exported gradebook contains extra read only columns that are not important to either me or my administration. The group weightings are not shown. Also there is no "Total" column. The "Final score" column is the "Total" column because it contains the same scores that are in the "Total" columns. But clearly the exported gradebook file is not as pristine and straightforward as the Canvas Gradebook. 

Exported_Gradebook_Columns_Excerpt.JPG

Canvas should have an user specifiable option that the exported Canvas Gradebook looks EXACTLY like the Canvas Gradebook because the college administration wants only to see and archive EXACTLY what is seen when an instructor accesses the Canvas Gradebook for a course.

Added to Theme

6 Comments
AddisonKaehr
Community Member

I feel like that is how it should be to be honest.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Alba_UFV
Community Member

Hi! I voted this entry in the community because I totally agree with the explanation. It is necessary that the qualifier is downloaded in a more manageable way, that the data are the same as there are registered in the qualifier.
Best regards
Alba

VHDL2STA
Community Member

I suspect that the additional columns that I do not want in the exported Canvas Gradebook are very important for the Canvas Gradebook software because perhaps the scores in these built-in columns are compared to user grade modifications specified in the "change to columns" that request user confirmation of these changes. I wonder if this safety net really is necessary. When I download the gradebook I first copy and save this original spreadsheet. Then I make changes and update the changed file that was downloaded. In case I make a mistake I still have the original copy. Perhaps Canvas Gradebook should only check the student names in the updated file to ensure that there is a match. In any event there should be a switch option that will export a spreadsheet to be archived by the school administration that looks exactly like the Canvas Gradebook that a user sees.  Perhaps this switch should indicate that the exported file is for only  read and archive purposes and cannot be uploaded to the Canvas Gradebook with grade modifications.

nkching
Community Explorer

We just had a lot of teachers complained to our site admins about this very issue -- that the category averages on the exported file do not match the displayed grades on Canvas. Even if we account for the "hidden" grades or "unpublished" assignments, it doesn't make sense that they don't match with the "current" grades.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme