Exported gradebook should match filters on the grade screen

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-07-07).

On the "Grades" screen you can filter the students who appear on the screen so that it only shows active students or only shows a particular section of a merged class.  However, the exported gradebook csv file shows everybody (active, inactice, all sections and so forth).  The exported gradebook should recognize the filters used in the grade screen.

I noticed that parts of this have already been requested.  For example. there has been requests that only active students are in the csv file or only individual sections should be exported.  If the exported csv matches what is seen on the screen this will take care of all these issues.

33 Comments
trinaadams
Community Member

When I download the csv file, there are many columns which are unnecessary to my task. For example:

• Assignments Current Points
  • Assignments Final Points
  • Assignments Current Score
  • Assignments Final Score
  • Current Points
  • Final Points
  • Current Score
  • Final Score
  • Current Grade

I only need Student, Assignment, Points Possible, Points Earned, and Final Grade. 

I would like to be able to customize the CSV file prepped for export.

RobDitto
Community Champion

@trinaadams , consider voting on this new feature idea about configuring exactly what gets exported from a course's Gradebook:

kfairbanks
Community Explorer

I would like to see this implemented so the .csv matches the grade book.

mfm0003
Community Participant

The grade book export appears to organize assignments in the order they appear on the Assignments page. It would be nice if there was an option to export a grade book view. For instance, if an instructor has organizes the grade book by due date or by module, it would be nice if the export reflected the same view. Similarly, if the instructor manually manipulates the order of the grade book columns, it would be nice if the export honored the view the instructor constructed.

ltardiffiii
Community Member

Agreed. I am in similar situation. I have my gradebook organized by due date and when I export to excel the default is the same default organized by assignment. It would be incredibly helpful to have export to excel open in whatever template we choose in the "Arrange By" tab. 

amclamor
Community Explorer

My students take various small mini-quizzes, and I would like to be able to export only those scores to Excel. (I total them up and use them as extra credit on other quizzes.) Currently, though, to get the scores from 3-4 quizzes, I have to delete well over 100 Excel columns of exported data that I *don't* need.  I would love to be able to "filter" the exported data when needed.

kvjansen
Community Novice

I agree, exported gradebook should match the grade screen.  If you allow users manually to change assignment codes, that's fine, but exporting columns at random is not even bush league.  It's bizarre.

wmetcalf1
Community Member

I would like to be able to print off my classes' results/marks/grades from Canvas, one class per page. How does one do this??? Downloading the csv file is NOT satisfactory! (One ends up with a gazillion columns!!!)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The Gradebook CSV assignment columns display in the same order as shown in the Gradebook for an individual user. This change fulfills expectations for users and aligns the Gradebook view and CSV file.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-07-07).