Exporting quizzes into Word or pdf documents

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Some of our departments need to have copies of assessments on file OUTSIDE of Canvas. I believe this request was first raised in early 2015. A Canvas person said the ability was about six months away. It is almost a year later and we have heard NO updates.

This is a BASIC feature that all LMSs should have. Canvas is so proactive in many ways and, overall, is the best LMS we have ever used, but this is getting ridiculous. It seems to be such an easy feature to implement too. PLEASE work on getting this feature ASAP; our schools NEED it.

Community Team Note:  A virtually identical idea was already open: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1055-printable-pdf-exportable-quizzes  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

53 Comments
jbuchholz
Community Contributor

I hope that this resource helps. It is something that I have used and has worked wonders for me, my faculty, and my students. 

Printable Quizzes code-snippet

Gerol Petruzella is the one that created this script and it is absolutely amazing!

Jesse

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

joan_viteri
Community Novice

Having the ability to export a quiz or study guide into a PDF document gives  the teachers the ability to properly differentiate and give all students the same opportunities.  Even though we are in the era where technology is favored over paper and pencil,  and most people have internet access and computers,  not all students do.    I have encounter myself several times having to provide alternative assignments for students with concussions that can't use computers for a period of time.  I personally prefer to read and annotate in paper and not using the computer.  I believe having the ability to give a students the choice it is a great advancement for the Canvas community.   We would be moving forward into understanding that we all learn and process differently. 

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Still waiting, aren't we?

ecsulliv
Community Novice

We have a model in our K-12 institution that makes online content available for local (brick and mortar, homeschool, tutor, etc.) instructors to use in their offline classrooms. We currently design all of our quizzes and exams as quizzes in Canvas without providing a downloadable version of the content that has to be revised every time there's a revision to any of that content. Prior to this iteration of our process, we created downloadable "teacher resources" that contained branded .doc or pdf versions of all of our assessments, but making sure those were updated every time an error was found in our content was an additional administrative headache and did away with the practice. While I'm fairly certain our model is more an exception than the rule, it would be incredibly valuable to us to have a way for instructors using our content to download a copy of our assessments rather than having to make do with a screenshot or some other form of capturing the content. 

tedwards3
Community Novice

In addition to the reasons already stated, I have students with accommodations that say the student gets a paper copy.  I also have some special students that have reduced answer choices.  Copy and paste is a very tedious process that I do so  that all of my students can have an acceptable quiz and opportunity for success.  Being able to export quizzes would be a great addition to Canvas.

r_nickalls
Community Novice

I would like to see this feature too.  Another basic feature I assumed Canvas would facilitate.   I need to be able to offer a paper based version of any assessment to cater for a specific educational need.

warren_goetzel
Community Participant

This request does not appear to address "Printing out students' quiz answers " as Vicker mentioned above. Is there another request for that specifically or will it be included in this one if it ever happens? We need this functionality to use Gradescope for auto-grading programming/code assessments. Thanks!  Programming assignment code auto-grading. This is a huge deal for us. Thanks! 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
warren_goetzel
Community Participant

Thanks for responding. I posted the same comment in Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes . Quizzes.Next: Print Quizzes With Answers  is not quite the same request. That one is to printing an answer key (questions and answers). Our need is to print the quiz with the student responses to feed into a  programming/code auto-grader. Thanks again