Exporting quizzes into Word or pdf documents

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Some of our departments need to have copies of assessments on file OUTSIDE of Canvas. I believe this request was first raised in early 2015. A Canvas person said the ability was about six months away. It is almost a year later and we have heard NO updates.

This is a BASIC feature that all LMSs should have. Canvas is so proactive in many ways and, overall, is the best LMS we have ever used, but this is getting ridiculous. It seems to be such an easy feature to implement too. PLEASE work on getting this feature ASAP; our schools NEED it.

Community Team Note:  A virtually identical idea was already open: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1055-printable-pdf-exportable-quizzes  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

53 Comments
blangston
Community Participant

It is now Oct 2019 and this is still not a feature. If I was in charge of decisions about keeping this program I would say find another LMS to use. 

kmallette
Community Participant

This is an excellent idea! Just for clarification from the instructure folks, is it currently in the works to have a printer friendly option in Quizzes.Next? Or are there still no plans to implement this idea?

davisjoh
Community Explorer

Hello, My institution ECU goes fully to Canvas this fall. I have spent the spring semester and summer converting my courses to Canvas. I spent 28 years in corporate American and 15 in teaching and I compare Canvas to SAP. Both are better than legacy systems but require more knowledge of the user to enjoy the benefits of the system. I may have missed this reason this enhancement has been delayed in the comments, but for me the export need of test results is related to data integrity in the test and grammar. My students expect the test to be correct and trying to look at the format and grammar structure of a test inside Canvas is difficult at best. This was one of the first things I noticed missing in the quiz area. After reading here that this has been on the list for 4 years I am a bit puzzled. I see people asking why so long. Has that been answered straightforwardly? Great suggestion and great benefit to the users. Hope it can happen soon. Thanks! John Davis-East Carolina University College of Business

smurphy12
Community Explorer

Hi, 

The ability to print and export both classic and new quizzes is critical for colleges whose accrediting bodies require them to be able to share that information. For example, CIDA is requiring all instructors to be able to export/print a copy of their assessments/quizzes both before and after a student takes the test. So in other words a blank with the answers and then 5-10 students completed quizzes along with the analysis. Right now it is being done by copying all and pasting into word. Which would not be bad if it were a  few tests, but each class requires 5-10 and there are more than 50 classes. Please PLEASE make this an ability in both old and new quizzes. Thank you.

kmccully
Community Member

Yes, please! Both blank and student work, both new and old quiz for many reasons!! I know Canvas is shifting to New Quizzes soon, but it's still missing some functionality, so I'm not using it yet. 

There are few workarounds (bookmarklet, Chrome extension) users have created to print blank quizzes, but I don't see any good ways to print student work. 

hiral_sejpal
Community Novice

Hi there, I work at Accessibility services and one of our main concerns with New Canvas quizzes is not being able to download or export quiz in word format. We tried workaround features and other things but, it is absolutely not possible for accessibility students to work with images or unreadable documents (export document of the quiz) is it possible to download new quizzes in word format on Canvas?

hiral_sejpal
Community Novice

Hi there, I agree with this, I work at Accessibility services in UBC, and our students would require a soft copy of the exam in readable word or pdf document. This is one of the most basic accommodations that we have to ensure to provide students. I would appreciate it if you can find a solution to this, especially with classic quizzes being phased out we need new quiz export option available soon.

ranitori
Community Member

I agree - come on Instructure, please make downloading and printing of quizzes available asap. It's like having a car that you have to crawl through the window to get into.

shustwit
Community Member

This is something I definitely need...exporting/printing, and it'd be nice to be able to import, too.

cmeyer42
Community Explorer

Please move this up in the development phase! It would be SO helpful for accommodations AND archiving questions outside of canvas.