Exporting quizzes into Word or pdf documents

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Some of our departments need to have copies of assessments on file OUTSIDE of Canvas. I believe this request was first raised in early 2015. A Canvas person said the ability was about six months away. It is almost a year later and we have heard NO updates.

This is a BASIC feature that all LMSs should have. Canvas is so proactive in many ways and, overall, is the best LMS we have ever used, but this is getting ridiculous. It seems to be such an easy feature to implement too. PLEASE work on getting this feature ASAP; our schools NEED it.

Community Team Note:  A virtually identical idea was already open: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1055-printable-pdf-exportable-quizzes  Contrary to our customary practice, we are allowing both ideas to continue to move forward. Votes and feedback from both ideas will be evaluated.

53 Comments
shiggins2
Community Novice

Yes, please. I request the option to print be implemented.  It's helpful for IEP/505 accommodations and if a student shows up without their device... I still want them to be able to take the test/quiz and then can go back in later on a device and put in their answers.

kregwelch
Community Member

It looks like most people have given up on the idea that this is something you will implement since the last post was 2017.  It is now 2021, and the need for this is still HIGH.  We need to be able to easily print quizzes for our students that need modifications/accommodations in the classroom.  This needs to be a priority for Canvas.

rmcochran
Community Participant

I agree. It's incredible that Canvas hasn't yet resolved this issue. It remains critical and necessary. 

bowersjm
Community Member

Just adding a comment to keep this request going.  This is a feature that is needed in order to be in compliance with many IEPs and 504s.  Please add this option!

amclamor
Community Explorer

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've needed a physical copy of a Canvas quiz. Please remember that the real world does not always have live internet or learners who can uses computers.

hottingert
Community Participant

What is the actual hold up on this idea?  What is preventing Canvas from moving forward?  Is there some sort of coding issue?  It would be nice to hear a real reason and not the answer that we usually get.

GregoryBeall
Community Member

I don't know how this wasn't done from the beginning.  Many students have accommodations that require paper.  Not sure why this even needs to be vote on.

eddie_bonetdiaz
Community Explorer

Would adding a web scraping protocol be that difficult? It shouldn't be intrusive. If anything, it could also just be made into a web browser extension, couldn't it?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The Quiz build page includes options to print a quiz with and without answers. This change allows quizzes to be printed in an offline format. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-08-18)

We plan to mark the companion idea ( Printable / PDF-exportable quizzes) Complete when the deploy is implemented. We'll keep this one in Open for Conversation status to accommodate those members who seek an export-to-PDF solution.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The Quiz build page includes options to print a quiz with and without answers. This change allows quizzes to be printed in an offline format. As the new print capability for quizzes incorporates print-to-PDF capability, we've marked this idea as complete.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-08-18).