External Tool Submissions for Group Assignments

(30)

Does anyone else want to see group assignments enabled for external-tool submissions? Specifically, our faculty are interested in using Turnitin or similar plagiarism-detection tools with groups assignments.

32 Comments
brogund
Community Novice

I'm also planning to use Hypothesis.is in my class.  Group availability is needed it!

guigui
Community Member

YES!

kmahadevan
Community Member

Upvoting!

wboswell
Community Participant

We need this feature to do Hypothes.is group assignments! As well as I'm sure many other types of group assignments. But specifically for Hypothes.is - small groups are incredibly important for deeper student learning. 

jmarias
Community Novice

I would also very much like to see this. For instance, I am attempting to use Hypothesis integrations to let small groups of students create reading groups; I cannot make small groups for Hypothesis without creating entirely different course Sections, so integration with Groups would be amazing! 

rjf227
Community Participant

I would put this in the condition critical category, please!

michael_hartman
Community Participant

This would be great for science when we do labs with a partner.

emg0039
Community Explorer

I would really like this capability to be able to assign something using an external tool to only a subset of the class.  I have separate assignments for groups in my course and so even though each student will complete it individually they only need to do one of a set of 4 assignments based on their group assignment.

StephanieCooley
Community Novice

I'd love to be able to assign groups to my Google Cloud assignments, but have noticed it is not an option if an external tool is selected.

jaywho
Community Member

Yes, definitely want this! Obvious requirement to support project-based learning.

I want my institute to have submittable group assignments for shared brainstorms/mood boards (Padlet, Miro), shared Google/MS documents or presentations, etc.

Typically for Padlet/Miro and also for some group documents, these start as a templated layout provided to students (with a prompt, a worked example, instructions etc. If these assignments aren't managed as a group submission through Canvas, we're left with manual/automation workarounds for duplicating a "master" template and sharing that out to each group manually, or relying on students to do the duplicate step accurately for their own group and then manage the shared permissions themselves. Both are fraught with support/maintenance headaches for us.

In the meantime we may have to create a native Canvas "online" assignment and ask the group to submit a URL to their shared work. I wonder what that means for SpeedGrader integration? Other problems? This means it might be about as much work for our teachers to set up/troubleshoot each group assignment as it is to grade them - doubles the workload to use Canvas compared to oldschool methods in the classroom.

Very interested to hear of any other workarounds you have found in your travels. 😃

cmdodd
Community Novice

We need this too for Kaltura.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.