Extra Credits and Calculation Algorithm

0 Likes
(2)

I want to provide extra credits to my students by reducing the total score in the quiz setting so that if students answer all questions correctly they can earn the extra credits.

For instance, the quiz has 7 questions (14 points) and I reduced the total score to 12. Canvas recalculated the unit score per question (12/7). As a result, for students who answered 6 questions correctly (12 points), they only got 10.29, and for students who answered all correctly, they got 12 instead of 14.

Several years ago, I can change the total score without influencing the calculation algorithm. Canvas seemed to overdo with the functional change. I contacted Canvas Support several times and the answer I received was: impossible.

This technical issue seems quite easy to solve - just have Canvas not to readjust and do the correct calculation. 

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

Tags (1)
3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @yb0005 -

I tried this in a sandbox course and with New Quizzes.

I originally created a quiz with 20 points. Then, I scored the questions. For this, I gave my student 15 points. After this, I adjusted the total quiz points to 10 points. I saw an error that said I'd need to regrade submissions, I ignored it (knowing what I wanted to do) and moved to the Gradebook.

From the gradebook, I noticed the "needs to be graded" symbol in the cell for the recently-adjusted quiz. However, the score stayed. While you would need to go by cell by cell and press Enter or Return, the data is there!

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 11.10.34 AM.png

If you see this too, maybe we can adjust the request to not have to "regrade" when accepting the different quiz total. There perhaps could be the option in that error message to regrade or have a result that may be a value above the total points possible.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @yb0005 -

I'm checking in! If you are unable to provide an update regarding this idea by June 28, we will need to archive it to help the Community Team focus on current Ideas. If you need more time, that's okay too! Providing an update before that time would be helpful and appreciated. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived