Extra Test Time and Modified Test Dates For an Individual Student Should be Done in One Dialog Box

0 Likes
(1)

When I get a request from my college's Center for Student Accessibility that I need to allow a student to have extra time on tests (quizes) I can easily accomplish this extra time allotment in Canvas as shown in the following article from the Canvas Community:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/Once-I-publish-a-timed-quiz-how-can-I-give-my-st... 

The days during which a test (quiz) is visible can also be customized to meet the special circumstances of individual students but to do so requires another Canvas path and another dialog box for the instructor to fill out.

These two activities require that the instructor go down two different Canvas paths and make changes in two different Canvas dialog boxes.

It would be more efficient if a single Canvas dialog box could be used to optionally change the visibility days of a test and/or the time allowed for an individual student to do a test. A single dialog box is implemented in Blackboard which is both efficient, user friendly, and just looks good.

Tags (1)
4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing this idea, @VHDL2STA . The process described in the lesson to which you've linked is for Classic (Old) Quizzes. Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Classic Quizzes, as it is scheduled for deprecation, so we've archived this idea.

In New Quizzes, an instructor can provide accommodations for a student across all quizzes in the course, as described in  How do I add assessment accommodations for a stude...

Once you've had a chance to start using the new quiz tool in your live courses, and should you find the need for changes, we hope you'll come back to Idea Conversations at that time to make suggestions based on your experience with New Quizzes. You'll find resources in the New Quizzes User Group, and if you don't see the ability to enable the new quiz tool in the settings area of your course, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for guidance on its availability at your school.

Thanks!

VHDL2STA
Community Member

Stefanie,

Thank you for your response.

Please clarify. Is New Quizzes already available? If so how do I select New Quizzes over the Classic Quizzes. Or will the transition to New Quizzes be transparent to me when it is implemented?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@VHDL2STA  Yes, New Quizzes is available for all paid Canvas accounts, and instructors can enable New Quizzes in the Settings area of their courses. If you don't see the option to do that in your course, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for guidance on the tool's availability at your school. You'll find resources in the New Quizzes User Group.

VHDL2STA
Community Member

Thanks for this information