Feature for instructors: making files non-downloadable

0 Likes

As an instructor who uses Canvas, it would be great if there was a feature to make individual files non-downloadable to students.  For example, while most files I don't mind if they download (powerpoints to their iPads, etc), I want to post the answer key to assessments, but I don't want them all over the internet, so I'd like to make them non-downloadable.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Thanks for sharing this idea, @IreneMoore . As it moves forward for broader conversation, consider employing the interim measure of limiting the amount of time students have a file available to them, as detailed in  How do I restrict files and folders to students in.... You might also want to add your support to a related idea,  add watermarks to downloaded files  .

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@IreneMoore, I understand your concern about not wanting certain files to be used outside the context you intend for them. We have historically stayed away from any features like this because they are impossible to actually implement. Some platforms claim they can prevent files from being downloaded, but for a file to be displayed on a student's device the browser must be able to access it which makes it possible for it to be saved through one method or another. Additionally, screen shots (or literally taking photos of the screen with a camera) further complicate things.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived