Feedback

0 Likes
(6)

We need a way to see if a student has read our feedback on graded assignments!

Tags (1)
7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Thanks for sharing this idea, @noneill . Does this refer to annotations? Instructors see an indicator in Speedgrader of the date and time the student viewed the annotated file, as detailed in the 
Verify Student Annotation Views section of How do I view the details of a submission for a st... -

noneill
Community Member

Stefanie, 

I want to see if a student has viewed my feedback at all.  I see when the student "viewed the document" but how do I tell if a student has seen my comments?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We don't have a notification for when students have viewed the comments instructors have made in the Submission Comments section of Speedgrader, @noneill , but any attempt to create one would run into the inherent difficulty of capturing those views when students read the comment in an external notification.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

So thinking about this a bit more, while a mechanical solution would ultimately not be an accurate reflection of which students did and did not read the comments, this was something that was very much on my mind when I was teaching. The way I approached it is that from time to time, I'd create a contest for students that promised them a few extra points on an assignment if they responded to the comment with a direct message to me referencing something specific in the comment. Students loved this!

JennyTompkins
Community Member

I think adding to this being able to have a "Read Receipt" option on the Canvas messaging system, so we can verify the recipient received messages. This is especially important for Special Education documents that we are required to get to the families. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@JennyTompkins  You can add your support to a request for a read receipt at  read report or receipt in Inbox . Even so, such a feature would be problematic for the same reason as mentioned above, namely that it would only capture the views of users who read the message in the Canvas Inbox, but of necessity would omit those users who read the message in an external notification.