Fill In the Blank - Option for Case Sensitive Answers

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

There are certain instances where student answers to fill in the blank questions should be capitalized to be considered correct.  Proper names in History and English courses for example, or element symbols in chemistry.  It is understandable that the default for student answers to be considered correct is not case sensitive, but teachers should have the option on a quiz or quiz question to turn on a case sensitive function if desired.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
6 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@kristen_baker  

I know this doesn't help with current functionality, but Quizzes.Next will have a lot more requirements that you can use, including requiring capitalization!

How do I create a Fill in the Blank question in the Quizzes LTI? 

I'm going to mark this idea as in development!

ctrstandards
Community Novice

Wow, I cannot believe this is not an option yet.  I am drilling my students on proper use of ACS style for scientific units.  Case is everything!

ronmarx
Community Contributor

I'm still waiting for the full Regex engine to be built into quizzes.next‌ questions that require typed responses (FIB, SA, etc.). I'm researching while I write this comment, so I see that this much-needed, long-requested feature is Quizzes.Next is in limited beta to select institutions. I don't think our school district is one of them. It will be interesting to see how the LTI interface has been designed.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed