Filter Gradebook by Groups

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This is reviving quite a few suggestions, including Grades - Filter or Sort Students by GroupsAdd "Groups" filtering feature to Assignments/Grading, and Gradebook Smart View by Group.

We need a way to filter the gradebook using student groups. Right now, the gradebook can only be filtered by sections within a course. There are quite a few use cases for requesting this functionality:

1. We have several large classes where the TAs are responsible for grading a subsection of a section within a course. This becomes tedious, because the filtering options for the gradebook limit this by section only. So if they have a section of 40 students but are only responsible for grading 20 of those, they need to create a section to filter the gradebook. This becomes troublesome when there are 400+ students in the course since creating sections requires the manual work of clicking on each student to change their associated sections. Even with section-anonymity turned on, this is still 60+ clicks for one subsection of 20 students.

2. We have several programs that use outside folks as facilitators who grade/interact with students. We set-up student groups for these folks so they can communicate with just their group of students. It would be nice to filter the gradebook of these groups instead of writing the facilitator's name in the Notes column or manually creating sections for the groups.

3. Some of our courses have several different groups in them for various purposes (different projects, in-class groups, etc). In general, it would be nice if instructors could filter off these groups to compare student performance and involvement.

As a final note, the drag-and-drop functionality of Groups is much easier to use than the manual process of creating sections. While manageable for small numbers, it's simply too much to handle for large courses.

This idea has been added to our product plan for Q2 2019 and will influence development within Canvas. Follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.

:smileyinfo: Adding this idea to our product plan means we will be working on it, but it does not guarantee that it will be developed exactly as defined by the idea, or that it will be added to the production environment.

Read more about the feature idea process:

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-06-22)‌ & https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-17625 

73 Comments
cfrodrig
Community Novice

Hello,

Just wanted to add a comment since I did not see an explicit mention of SpeedGrader in the Canvas Idea description. Speaking somewhat on the behalf of my institution, we are hoping that this functionality would carry over into the SpeedGrader. For example, after filtering the Gradebook to a specific group, accessing the SpeedGrader should only show the group that we just filtered to.

sendres
Community Participant

Interesting idea. And, conversely, there could be a filter in SpeedGrader whose setting would carry over into the gradebook.

awarmar
Community Participant

This would save so much time and hassle manually creating sections for large courses with multiple graders each assigned to a static group(s) of students--and then save even more time as we watch to make sure we manually pull the section enrolment for any that subsequently drop! 

JACOBSEN_C
Community Contributor

Sorting/filtering in the speedgrader would help too.

nbiddinger-c
Community Novice

Yes!  Our teachers would like to use the Gradebook data to plan for differentiation and filtering would be a great help.

ginan
Community Contributor

This functionality would be a great help for many of our faculty members, especially those teaching large courses. Our use cases have already been mentioned:

• TAs who are responsible for grading a certain group.
  • Facilitators in faculty training courses who are responsible for monitoring and grading a group.
victoria_richar
Community Novice

I would like to reitterate this question. My instructors would like it to be able to sort in Speed Grader as well.

kmallette
Community Participant

I personally love this idea and a good number of the faculty at my university have voted on it. This feature idea has the largest score I've seen in the community thus far, but there's no indication whether or not it's moving to the next phase. I would love to tell the faculty at my university that this feature is at the very least being considered and is possibly making it's way to production. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is this feature idea still waiting to get the green light?

Thank you!

jeannine_kruse
Community Novice

I can't believe sorting by groups is not an available function at the moment. I just tried to add a column for group and can't. This needs fixing urgently, agree with all of the above comments, crucial feature for big classes with several lecturers/TAs.

kas200
Community Participant

Still waiting, as far as I know. Smiley Happy