Filter View Reset after unchecked in New Gradebook

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In the New Gradebook, when you check a filter, it comes up with a drop down of those different filters, which is great.  However, after you are done with that filter you can "un-check" it and the drop down goes away, however the filter remains.  It would be nice that if you "un-check" the filter, it resets back to "all."  

This has become a problem in teachers don't realize that the gradebook is being filtered and think there are missing assignments from the gradebook and such.  It would be nice for the filter to stay on the screen unless it is marked as "all" 

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14288-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-03-31 .

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@hvondrasek , thank you for submitting this idea. I wonder if you've seen the conversation around this topic at Reset to Default View (remove filters, sort, etc.). It's in the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/focus-group-gradebook?sr=search&searchId=55ba730c-47c3-4376-9...‌, which you can join if you'd like by clicking on the link to the group and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown that appears at the upper right of the group home page.

hesspe
Community Champion

Getting stuck in an unwanted filter view has been the greatest barrier by far for our new gradebook pilot group.  People assume, quite reasonably I think, that by unchecking a filter option in the View >> Filters menu, they will "unset" the filter and return the grade book to its unfiltered view.  What they have instead succeeded in doing  (by unchecking the filter option) is to hide the menu which is the only way to remove that filter (by selecting "All Assignment Groups", "All Modules", and/or "All Sections").  In addition to a reset button, which I fully support as the best option, I think it would be more intuitive if unchecking the filter inactivated it.  In the discussion linked by stefaniesanders‌ above Reset to Default View (remove filters, sort, etc.) , the project manager, Christi Wruck, says "We are working on a solution for this and will definitely get something in before Phase 1 is complete."  Since that comment was made on 8/3, I'd be reassured to hear a renewed commitment to doing this before we make a decision about making the new Grade Book the default for our instance, which we'd like to be able to do for Fall 2018.  Canvas is still saying, in the new grade book FAQ, New Gradebook: FAQ , that they will deprecate the old grade book in Q2 2018, but they also hedge on that prediction, so I'm not assuming one way or the other (but the truth is I don't expect an enforced switch to the new in Q2).

hvaughn
Community Contributor

We have experienced the same frustrations.  We would like to have a "Reset" button (or something similar) added to the new gradebook that instructors can click to remove all filters and arrange by settings to return the new gradebook to its default state. 

boardmal
Community Member

I am tying out the new gradebook, and this would make a big difference!  a reset button, or something along those lines as the filters become hidden and you spend a lot of time wondering why oh why can't I find that student? or assignment? or .....

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-03-31) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@hvondrasek  Thank You for submitting this idea, as well as,  @hesspe  Thank You ,  @hvaughn  Thank You , &  @boardmal  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed