Filter unread posts in mobile app

0 Likes
(3)

On the web version of Canvas, you are able to filter discussion posts to see those that are “unread”. This feature is not available using the app, and it would be beneficial if it could be. I’d rather not have to scroll through each comment to see the new ones, and so I’ve resorted to using the website on my phone to do this instead of using the app.

For reference, I am a student.

8 Comments
nathanatkinson
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

eleavitt
Community Member

** New Idea: Canvas Custom view/filter for Discussions within Canvas mobile. This custom view/filter would enable the mobile user to filter discussions by New/Read/Unread similar to the Read/Unread button in Canvas Web Discussions. **

Currently the mobile versions of the canvas apps only enable users to view the entire discussion thread which can contain hundreds/thousands of items, causing users waste time hunting through lengthy threads to find the unread items.

@rseilham

Discussions: Can settings be changed to view only new/unread discussions in Canvas for iOS? 

Discussion Read Undread button WEB.jpg

obrienja
Community Member

Would be VERY helpful as an instructor like me also! Make it happen!

eleavitt
Community Member

@obrienja

As an instructor you must be going crazy without it, Lets do it!

It would be sensible to have the capability to filter discussion threads by read/unread, especially on mobile devices. This is the first time I have encountered this lack of functionality.

How do we push to make it happen?!? 🙂

rseilham
Community Champion

I agree this would be good for mobile UI/UX as quickly finding information is key on smartphones. 

rudinskiej
Community Novice

A feature in the mobile app that allows students to see unread discussion posts without scrolling through and expanding every thread to find the unread post. This feature is available online, but not in the iPhone mobile application. Thank you!

Margi
Community Explorer

Greetings.

I'm noticing these posts are from 2020. Have these features been added now that it is 2022? I've searched the guides and not found anything. Thought I'd check in here in case I missed it.

Thanks, Margi

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.