Fix New Quizzes migration tool: Matching questions where answers match to multiple stems

0 Likes

Now that New Quizzes and Respondus LDB are working together, more faculty are trying the Quzzes->New Quizzes migration tool. This is uncovering many new interesting hidden features.

When you create a Matching question in old Quizzes, it is possible to have multiple question stems match to the same answer. That is done by simply repeating the answer across the different stems. Then, when the question is rendered, old Quizzes only shows the repeated matching answers once in the list.

Faculty have learned that when the migration tool creates a New Quiz question out of these matching questions, the New Quiz will repeat these answers multiple times.

This seems obviously to be a bug in the migration tool. But I am pretty sure a customer support rep on this forum is going to ask me if I have submitted a support request through my institution to lobby them to submit an official support request to Instructure through back channels. Why Instructure cannot just accept bug reports directly here (i.e., why reps don't have the ability to submit action reports directly) seems to be a larger problem. For now, I post this here just to warn people if they have matching questions on their old quizzes and attempt to use the migration tool to create matching questions in New Quizzes.

Tags (1)
2 Comments
tpavlic
Community Participant

I am told that this seems to also be a problem if you create a fresh New Quiz matching problem. Is it really not in the use-cases considered by the developers that there might be options with multiple matches? It is frustrating because we have gotten used to being able to build these multiple-matches in classical Quizzes.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@tpavlic 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As you've noted, Instructure collects bug reports through support cases, so if you haven't yet done so, please initiate a case describing the behavior so our engineers can investigate.