Fix misleading language on "Requirements Changed" warning

0 Likes
(2)

If a teacher tries to publish an unpublished module that has a previous module as its prerequisite and no modules after it, the "Requirements Changed" warning appears and states:

"You have changed the progression requirements for an active course. There may be students who have already progressed to this module and to others that depend on it. Would you like to let students continue in the course or do you want to re-lock these modules until the new requirements are completed?"

This doesn't make sense in this particular scenario, and the language also has a general issue. The two confusing points are:

1) In the case of an unpublished module with no subsequent modules using it as a prerequisite, it is not possible that "students ... have already progressed to this module." Students cannot have progressed to a module that has never been published. So the message's language is misleading.
2) The second sentence says "do you want to re-lock these modules" without specifying what "these" refers to. This has caused some confusion for our faculty that would be resolved by a simple edit to specify that the previous modules will be re-locked.

Can this language please be clarified or the warning disabled in this specific case? I know it's supposed to be a standard warning, but it doesn't apply to every case and its language needs revision.
3 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

amy_koger
Community Explorer

Glad to see this comment.  I have been perplexed by the language choices on this pop up box for a couple years now.  I click and pray that I have made the proper choice!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.