Fix or Allow Disabling Discussion Replies by Email

0 Likes
(2)

Most discussion replies, thankfully, are done while logged in to Canvas and by clicking "Reply" on a post (or on a reply to a post). However, some people reply to discussions through email, which is a result of them receiving a notification of the discussion posts to their email addresses.

These replies by email are problematic because they are very lengthy and don't conform to the standard reply post formatting. If you haven't seen this before, I'm attaching two screenshots to demonstrate (at end of my post). The longer one is the complete post submitted via email and the shorter one demonstrates what that post would look like if it conformed to the standard reply post formatting. As I mentioned, these posts pose display problems which negatively impact the ability to read and follow the discussion dialog.

I would like to see either that these email posts get stripped down so that they follow the formatting of standard reply posts, or if that is not possible or is too difficult, then give instructors the ability to turn off the ability to reply to discussions by email. 

Screenshot of a reply by email:

Full reply to a discussion via emailFull reply to a discussion via email

How the reply should look:

How the reply would look if it conformed to standard reply formatHow the reply would look if it conformed to standard reply format

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

kyh802
Community Explorer

I second this.

kyh802
Community Explorer

Also, I'd like students to know that they can't reply to announcements the same way. Students are hitting reply expecting it to work the same way it does for Inbox messages and the discussions, but it doesn't. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.