Flat late work penalty.

0 Likes
(12)

It would save me so much time if there were a flat late work penalty. I deduct 30% for late work. It doesn't matter if my students turn in an assignment a day late or a week or more late. I tried using the late penalty in the grade settings, and I thought if I selected 30% off with a minimum grade of 70% it would do what I needed, but it doesn't. For example, if a student makes an 80 on an assignment that they've submitted late, I want it to deduct 30% of that grade, which would give them a 56, but instead it gives them a 70%. 

Take off a certain amount of points or percentage per hour or per day isn't an option. So now I'm having to manually calculate late grades again. I think being able to add an option to take off a certain amount of points or percentage from the total, no matter how late an assignment is turned in, would be a very helpful tool. 

Tags (2)
14 Comments
afoote
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Dustin2000
Community Member

This is 100% a great idea and exactly what I came here to say!

danielleschwinn
Community Member

I would also appreciate this! Many instructors at my institution have a flat deduction in their syllabus. 

taylorhokanson
Community Member

Same here - please consider adding this feature.

RachaelOrben
Community Member

Yes - such a simple thing! As a new instructor I was very surprised to see this is not an option OR the week & month timeframe was not available. 

amahzarn
Community Member

Will be highly appreciated if you fix this. Currently if someone applies 30% penalty without  a  minimum grade in the setting, the following situation happens which does snot make any sense: If the total grade of the assignment is 90 and students submission is 20, Canvas grades them 0 after penalizing them. Canvas penalizes 30% of the total grade instead of the 30% of the students submission grade. 

sunwall1
Community Explorer

yes - great idea! Know of many instructors on campus who would love this.

AndrewSears
Community Member

Yes, this would be helpful

GilbertR
Community Member

Yes, this is a major frustration of mine as well. Right now, I have to go in manually and edit the scores of students who submit late work.

More options for late-work penalties would be really useful, even beyond a flat penalty. For most of my assignments, I apply a flat percentage off (regardless of how late it is). For one type of assignment, I base the amount off on how many days late the assignment is: if it's within 48 hours, -20%; if more than two days but less than 7, -40%; and later than 7 days, -60%. However, I would happily settle for a flat late-work policy.

peamon
Community Member

Given the posts I've read here and elsewhere on the web, my suspicions that Canvas is not very responsive to instructor feedback have been proven correct. This is a fundamental tool in our toolboxes, normally, and one that Canvas is denying us.

EzraP
Community Novice

This is my first semester using canvas as an instructor and it is unbelievable to me this feature isn't available. This thread has been open a year and a half and this very basic, simple idea is still not available.

The solution could even be reached from 2 different directions. There could be the option to impose a percentage penalty with no time interval. It makes no sense to be obligated to choose between daily and hourly as the only categories.

Alternatively, there could be a simple setting for maximum penalty size (as opposed to minimum score, which I can't think of a situation I would ever use). If we could control the maximum penalty size, the interval would not be so important.

I really hope this easily fixed problem gets some attention soon.

avaccari
Community Member

Agreed! I think it is a missing feature!

I think it would also help to clarify the relationship between the penalty and the grade a little more. I was as well and mistakenly under the impression that the minimum grade referred just to the late penalty being applied instead of the actual final grade in the assignment. The current behavior links the penalty to the actual grading of the assignment so, for a late penalty of 10% with a min grade of 90%, for a late submission, if a student is graded 95/100, 5 points will be taken by the late mechanism while, if a student is graded 85, no points will be taken. I feel that separating the two would give more flexibility in grading approaches.

Full description of a specific instance in this case: 08772198

Thank you.

cduke
Community Explorer

Agreed!  It seems like most institutional policies are a one-time flat penalty.  Mine is 15% if it is one minute or one month.  I have it set up to 15% per day and then have to manually change each late submission back to 1.  This is very frustrating when I have nine classes, especially when it would be a very simple update.  

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.