Floating left hand bar for selecting sections of course to visit

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) .

The left hand bar that includes modules, assignments, resources, chat, collaborations, etc. should float as the student scrolls down the page. For example, a student can go from reading a list of discussion posts to see how well he or she did on last week's post or click on the next assignment for the week without having to scroll up or down the page to view the list of sections available for the course.
15 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

It looks like over 2/3 of the votes for this feature idea came from one institution.  Can any of you who voted for this help me understand the use case and why it seems to be especially important at that institution?

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is a very interesting problem and if there are voters on the thread who are interested in commenting on this idea, I would love to hear more. From the little posted here, it sounds like users (students) want to navigate through and around the course more effectively. This has big implications for how the course space is designed and I'm sure that our designers would be interested in having this conversation to learn more. Please reach out to me if you'd like me to coordinate that discussion. Will archive this idea for now.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
RobDitto
Community Champion

There is recent discussion of what seems to be this same idea, or a closely related one, here (with even more votes!):

SHEBENE
Community Champion

Yep, they do seem to be related or the same functionality. This is a big deal in several spots but especially when you've scrolled down a long ways on Modules, Syllabus, or in a discussion thread.

travistowne
Community Novice

I agree with this especially if you could add this feature to the quiz editing section.  I should not have to scroll all the way back up to the top to add a new question.  This is very time consuming and it would be fantastic if the menu moved down as more questions were added.

alexandra_mulli
Community Novice

Hi there,

I'd find this function especially useful - the pages I work on usually have lots and lots of content so I am continually having to scroll all the way back up to top to navigate elsewhere. It would be incredibly timesaving for course designers/administrators to have this function enabled.

Smiley Happy

alexandra_mulli
Community Novice

I agree - adding 50+ MCQs in one sitting takes twice as long having to scroll all the way back to the top to click 'Add New Question'. Very frustrating!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.