Floating the Course Title to Keep it in Sight.

0 Likes
(3)

I didn't see this as an idea yet. 

This community has already asked about floating at the bottom and raised to the top 'previous' and 'next' buttons, see the response, it was a NO GO: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Releases/Canvas-Production-Release-Notes-2016-01-30/ta-p/2...

I find when working in multiple templates or courses, it would be a time-saver to have the course ID float at the top of pages to keep it in clear view all the time, so not hidden whenever you scroll down. 

Thanks, 

Janet 

Instructional Designer 

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Worldwide

14 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@bennej28 

Thanks for sharing this idea. In the interim, as this request moves forward for broader discussion, you will be able to find the course ID for the course you're working on in the browser address bar.

bennej28
Community Participant

Hello Stefanie, 

I hope you are well. Thanks for your reply. 

The URL is different - you would need to memorize all the numerical values the system provides (not user-friendly). For example #122454 would be in the browser address but as you scroll down, you lose the written out course ID. Example COM 102 Template 1 or COM 102 Section B002, is lost.

Thanks, 

Janet 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@bennej28  Thanks for the clarification. The course ID is the six-figure numerical figure in the URL; it sounds like your request is specific to the course name, which is different from the course ID.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bennej28 ...

I wouldn't necessarily call this a "work-around", but if your course name is populated in the "Name" field within your course Settings (How do I change a course name and course code? - Instructure Community), then at least for me, the course name shows up on the tab within my Chrome browser.  However, the naming doesn't appear to always be consistent across an entire course.  For example:

• Home page - tab displays YourCourseName
  • Pages index page - tab displays YourCourseName: Pages
  • Modules index page - tab displays Course Modules: YourCourseName
  • Assignments index page - tab displays Assignments: YourCourseName
  • Syllabus page - tab displays Syllabus for YourCourseName
  • Gradebook page - tab displays Gradebook - YourCourseName

So, most of the time I can look at the current tab I have open in Chrome to see what course I'm in.  But, I do see some value in floating a course title somewhere else as you have suggested.

bennej28
Community Participant

Hello Stefanie, 

Yes, what I am requesting is the Course Name stay visible. 

Thanks for pointing out the correct terminology, 

Great, 

Janet 

bennej28
Community Participant

Hello Chofer, 

Thanks.

Yes, if you hover over the tab (HOME) the course name in my institution will show the written out name. At WW are working on templates that get copied into sections, so it would need to be decided on above my pay rate to change to coding, but I like your suggestion.

I work extensively on another LMS prior to Canvas and what I am asking for was a feature in 2014 and the faculty loved it. It can be done. 

Thank you, I hope I get more feedback. 

Janet 

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @bennej28 ,

The following CSS might work, if you're a Canvas admin and can add it to your global theme CSS file.  I just did a quick check in Chrome and it appeared to do what you want, but I didn't do complete testing, so you may want to try this in a non-production environment first and be sure there are no unintended side-effects.

.ic-app-nav-toggle-and-crumbs {
    position: sticky;
    top: 0px;
    background: #FFF;
    z-index: 999999;
}

P.S.:  You might be able to remove the background line or change it to the appropriate color for your theme.   I was getting some weird overlapping artifacts when scrolling before I added that in.

-Chris

SeungLee
Community Member

I often teach multiple sections of the same course. Canvas hides section numbers when I scroll down. Make it visible all the time for for section identification purpose.

bennej28
Community Participant

Good Morning, 

I apologize for not responding earlier- thank you @chriscas. And @SeungLee. I'd really like to see an improvement to the course pages/interface. I believe my department and the whole WW family would benefit from having floating course titles to keep it in the line of sight. 

Thanks, 

Janet 

goodbookmom
Community Explorer

Making the name of the course, complete with section number, "sticky" at the top or side of the screen is an absolute necessity. It's one thing for instructors with several courses. It's a whole other problem for administrators who could be viewing hundreds of courses. Scrolling to the top of the screen just to see where I am is tedious and irritating.

CathleenStevens
Community Member

Add the course ID to the top of the course that is being accessed ALONG with the course ID that identifies the course assignments that the Instructor is correcting, PLEASE and thank you! 😢

ahmed_katsha
Community Member

I would like to have this feature, please. I teach the same course with different sections and it will be great if I can always see the course name (either the name I chose or the one set by the admin), especially when I scroll down. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.