Folders for Organizing / Managing Question Banks

0 Likes
(5)

I need/would like to use ~40+ question banks for my course.  That makes for too much sorting...Simple solution: give folders that I can sort my question banks into.  This is basically like Microsoft Windows: too many files to sift through?  Group them under folders. 

Elaboration: I have 4 exams.  Each exam assesses ~10-15 skills. I'd like a question bank for each skill.  That way, I can write the exam using question groups that will draw on the designated question bank.  I'd like to do this so that each student exam generated in canvas quizzes is different from every other (since the questions on a given quiz will be drawn as a random sample from the question bank), yet, each quiz will be as balanced as the next, since I utilized question banks for each concept/skill I am assessing.  

The real goal here is for 5 or 6 of us instructors who teach different sections of the same class (lntro to Logic) to collaboratively write one test, yet no two tests the students take will be identical (well, some tests will be identical, but things will be much better than writing one test that is taken by 200 students!) 

Tags (2)
2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@nik_breiner 

Thank you for sharing this idea. Please add your comments to the ongoing discussion underway at New Quizzes: SubFolders for Item Banks. We've archived this one to remove the duplication and keep the conversation unified in one place.

Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated early next year. The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should give you the information you need to start trying out the new tool; you might need to reach out to your local Canvas admin for guidance if you do not see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the Settings | Feature Options area of your courses.

CraigOgden
Community Participant

This would be awesome.  My department has over 450 banks.  It is really hard to find where the bank we want is.  Folders, or a way to group, would be a very nice way to organize our banks better.