For group assignments - consistently show group name and/or student names

0 Likes
(1)

The problem: I have recently graded a group assignment in Canvas. In the Speedgrader mode, I could choose which assignment I was viewing based on group name. But there was no way (I don't think) to see the names of the members of the group on that page. It would have been helpful to see the member names. But now I am getting comments from the students asking about details of the grading. When I click on a student comment, it takes me to a "Submission Details" page. This page says the name of the student who submitted the assignment, and the name of the student who wrote the comment, but doesn't have the group name anywhere. So if I want to go back to Speedgrader and, say, regrade something, there is no quick way to do that. I would need to flip through all the assignments to match the assignment visually, or go to the setup page of the groups and click on each group in turn to see which group the student is in, and then apply that to Speedgrader.

The solution: Wouldn't it be nice if the Submission Details page included the group name for group assignments? And conversely, if the Speedgrader page included the group member names for group assignments?

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Gabbe
Community Member

I'd like to get more information about a student in SpeedGrader, for example, to know if it belongs to one of the groups defined. Otherwize I'd like to be able to add "customized" (and colored) labels to students in SpeedGrader.

Thanks

JeffCampbell
Community Contributor

I want to echo the need for this. Currently, when using groups, I have two options. One is to have Speedgrader open in one tab and the Course Groups page open in another in order to identify which groups each person is in. The other option is to have a printout with the groups and group members listed, hopefully in the same order as what I entered into Canvas. If I make a mistake in the list I print, it messes up grading.

Two options could be looked at using the image below:

• Putting a list in the spot where the yellow line is located. This would need to be small to fit, so may not be useful for accessibility.
  • Put the list in the space marked by the red box. This would allow for larger text for accessibility reasons.

Canvas Group Names.PNG

Either option would be greatly beneficial for teachers grading group work.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.