For students and observers create a weekly checkin or student snapshot

0 Likes
(1)

Enable the ability to send  a weekly checkin or student snapshot that instructors can choose the day of the week to generate.  This feature would send an inbox message to the student and their observers stating the current course grade and any missing late items for the course.  Preferably with an option to include all Canvas courses the student is currently enrolled in into one message if each instructor opts into the same day.  

Tags (1)
7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@cheryl_zachry 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Before we move it forward for broader conversation, have you checked out the messaging capabilities in New Analytics? You might want to reframe this request in the context of what the New Analytics tool currently provides.

cheryl_zachry
Community Member

I use analytics pretty often for my own data gathering.  Just enabled the full features and the: message students who... looks pretty promising.  I would like to be able to message observers for my junior high students.  It would be perfect if I could choose a grade range, click missing assignments, zeroes, late items and last login.  Then the report would list the student grade and any missing, late and zeroes.  Last login and the analytical graphic data might rock too.  Just be able to include multiple things in one run. 

I have noticed missing assignments on extensions don’t register missing so I place zeroes when they are late.  Students can still hand in but they notice! I am going to try the messaging out. 

cheryl_zachry
Community Member

In context, I taught virtually all year and communication needs to be happening so students don’t get behind.  Anything that provides a lot of good data in a streamlined manner helps. 
One inbox that lists the grade and the actual missing/late/zero assignments (be still my heart if the assignment list is clickable with links to the assignment) 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cheryl_zachry 

For the observer piece, we'd first have to implement the ability to message observers from analytics/gradebook, so please support this idea:

"Message OBSERVERS of Students Who..." in Grade bo...

If/when implemented, that would lay the groundwork for expanding that enhancement to New Analytics.

In addition, you might be interested in  Missing Assignments Report for Observers (Parents).

Should we archive this idea so that you have the opportunity to use New Analytics for a bit? After you've tried it out, we hope you can come back and write a new idea requesting refinements based on that experience.

Thanks for taking the time to explore New Analytics!

cheryl_zachry
Community Member

Yes you can archive and I will be back!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cheryl_zachry Thanks! We're looking forward to seeing you here again soon. 🤗