Force end an exam/ Incorrect time remaining for exam

0 Likes
(1)

Canvas used to allow you to edit exams when students have already started taking the exam. This is great if there is a reason where you have to add more time for student's exam. However, you can not just go to the modify time in the moderate quiz section without also changing the availability until data (if you have this previously set) since the exam will still end based on the availability date/time. 

However, I recently experienced a glitch when I tried to edit an exam and extended time for a student. It changed other students remaining time (students I did not make edits to) and also gave incorrect remaining time for the student I was trying to extend time for. I thought this would be fine since I had the availability date and time set but the students were able to continue taking the exam well beyond the allowed time frame. I was told by Canvas that this was due to their new integration of "New Quizzes" and they recommended not making edits to an exam when it is live (not realistic however). There is currently no way to prevent students from taking the exam past the allowed time if this glitch happens. Canvas accepts that this glitch is happening but do not have a fail safe to control when students stop taking the exam. If I call Canvas when this glitch is happening live they also can't control this on their end.

I think a feature where instructors can manually change the remaining time and also to be able to force end an exam (when an exam is in progress). if these glitches arise would be very helpful in maintaining fairness for all student and the integrity of the exam. Additionally, a notification to students that their exam will end in 1 minute would also be a great so the force end is not too abrupt.

At the very least, Canvas should be able to control this on their end if I were to call in when the glitch is happening live. 

With much appreciation,

2 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived