[SpeedGrader] Formatted Text in Annotation Tools

When grading papers or other file uploads from students, the ability to use formatted text in the annotation tools would be really helpful. For example, if a student is not formatting citations properly, it would be possible to show the correct format (such as where italics are needed). I am actually surprised this is not an often requested feature. Thanks!

Added to Theme

14 Comments
michael5
Community Contributor

We have several instructors asking for the same feature. 😞

kxcurran
Community Explorer

I know I need this. If I could place a proofreading symbol instead of trying out the whole comment of what they need to change "Capitalize all letters" for example,  that would make grading MUCH faster.

ericwerth
Community Explorer

I agree this would be beneficial.  It looks like it would be covered by this request that is currently under product radar, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1128-rich-text-editor-in-speedgrader-comments?sr=search&search...‌, so it may be worth voting it up here as well.

s_jacobs
Community Novice

I agree it is very frustrating to keep on typing that students should use italics for titles of books, and not be able to actually use italics in the comments

dawn_ward
Community Novice

Yes, yes, yes!!  This is need for English and Law courses to show correct citation format. It is really annoying to have to add additional comments to say this "needs to be italicized or underlined" to show proper formatting. 

mfm0003
Community Participant

This is desperately needed in the annotation and general feedback areas. It's awkward making the correction that something should be italicized if we don't have access to do it ourselves. 

erp0002
Community Novice

Yes, Please add this feature. I appear hypocritical to my students when I flag them on grammar issues such as not putting Supreme Court Cases in italics, and yet I can't do that myself.  I often add a notation that I would put cases in italics, but Canvas won't allow that option in my feedback.  

Rachel_S
Community Participant

I need this!!

ewest
Community Contributor

I definitely agree that this would be a fantastic addition to Canvas. Our instructors have asked for this functionality on several occasions. The ability to add formatted feedback with embedded images, videos, files, and LTI tools would be powerful, and help instructors deliver more robust, interactive feedback to students, especially as institutions respond to COVID-19.

RebeccaDarling1
Community Member

The new annotation tool is amazing, but it's lacking math notation in the text tool. Currently we use Kami for this feature.