Formula Question Avoid Duplicates

0 Likes
(1)

There needs to be a way in Canvas for a formula question to automatically generate possible solutions without duplicates.  As an example I just created a quiz with a variable [x] having possible values from 5 to 16.  If I tell Canvas to generate 12 possible solutions, in theory, it SHOULD generate a solution for every possible x value from 5 to 16.  Instead, Canvas gives me 12 solutions where x has a value of 9 for five of them!  This is ridiculous.

I've read another post where I can go in and edit the HTML to force the solutions that I want - but this is quite tedious, and I shouldn't have to do that.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@hoggardr 

As our teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated early next year, could you test this in New Quizzes to see if you encounter the same issue when using the new tool? Instructions for creating a formula question are in How do I create a Formula question in New Quizzes?

We'll keep this conversation in Moderating status for now. 

Thanks!

hoggardr
Community Explorer

I just tested it, and it seems to work perfectly in New Quizzes.

I had not switched over to using New Quizzes because I did not see a way to add a question group in New Quizzes, as could be done in Old Quizzes (i.e. pick 3 questions from this group / 5 points per question).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@hoggardr 

Thanks for confirming that the desired functionality is working as you had hoped in New Quizzes. We'll mark this idea for archival.

The method of selecting multiple questions from an item bank in New Quizzes doesn't require question groups, as detailed in How do I add all items or a random set from an item bank to an assessment in New Quizzes?. We invite you to post your questions to the New Quizzes User Group whenever you need assistance as you try out the new tool; many members of that group have been using New Quizzes in live courses for some time now and can walk you through the ins and outs.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

hoggardr
Community Explorer

I went over to the New Quizzes User Group, but I don't see a way to post questions there.  When I click to go into the Forum, I see the button for "Ask A Question", but it is grayed out and disabled for me.  Additionally, I also see that (at the time of this comment) there are supposed to be 13 items showing for the knowledge base, however when I click the link to go into the knowledge base, there are no items listed there.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@hoggardr 

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the delay; we had to do some investigative work to unearth that content! Now, when you navigate to the New Quizzes User Group , you should see the ability to start a new topic, and the 13 items in the Knowledge Base are accessible.