Freeze top, left, and side banners of Canvas.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) - Instructure Community

I have suggested this in the past but it didn't seem to gain traction so I thought that I would bring the idea up again.  It is just a very annoying feature that could be correct rather easily I would imagine.  It would be nice if Canvas froze everything but the interior page.  In other words, let's say you are in the "Modules" page. When you scroll down, the way it is now everything scrolls and you lose site of your courses, grades, calendar, etc. as well as all of your global settings.  Depending on how long your "Modules" page is, for example, you even lose sight of the left hand navigation tabs as well (Home, Assignments, etc.)  I think that those should be stationary, just as if you were to lock columns or rows in Excel.

Please also refer to this closely related idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6112-make-course-menu-sticky

97 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

This would be awesome!  For reference, here are some archived Feature Ideas that didn't make it to the next stage of the voting process Smiley Sad:

eabshire
Community Novice

Thanks for that.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for submitting this feature idea! Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea!

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. May 4, 2016 - Wed. August 3, 2016! Smiley Wink

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I wonder if the same idea gets re-submitted 100 times if Instructure would consider it. :smileygrin:

eabshire
Community Novice

I wish!

James
Community Champion

Deactivated user​,​

You wrote that this will be open for voting May 4, but it's not open for voting and it's in status 1.5 ready for next cycle. Did it just get overlooked on Wednesday, have the wrong date put in for when it would be open, is such a beaten up idea that never gets any traction that it was left in limbo, ignored because the new UI will be enforced before the voting is done on this one, or something else?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

I think it just got accidentally skipped during the opening process.  I'll get it open right away!

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for opening it Renee!!

eabshire
Community Novice

I second that!

eabshire
Community Novice

James, why would you vote this down?