Freeze top, left, and side banners of Canvas.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) - Instructure Community

I have suggested this in the past but it didn't seem to gain traction so I thought that I would bring the idea up again.  It is just a very annoying feature that could be correct rather easily I would imagine.  It would be nice if Canvas froze everything but the interior page.  In other words, let's say you are in the "Modules" page. When you scroll down, the way it is now everything scrolls and you lose site of your courses, grades, calendar, etc. as well as all of your global settings.  Depending on how long your "Modules" page is, for example, you even lose sight of the left hand navigation tabs as well (Home, Assignments, etc.)  I think that those should be stationary, just as if you were to lock columns or rows in Excel.

Please also refer to this closely related idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6112-make-course-menu-sticky

97 Comments
apetersen
Community Novice

Becky: My Microsoft mouse has a control panel setting for the scroll wheel but that says "Change direction". Unfortunately what that actually means is if you scroll up the page goes down OR if you scroll down the page scrolls up. Whoops, this isn't what I thought it meant. It doesn't go sideways.

I have seen this "Change direction" setting in the past and always thought it was Up/Down OR Left/Right. Sorry for the poor information.

However, when I researched it, I found some scripts that could be used to modify the mouse to scroll sideways. Just google "scroll mouse sideways".

James R Henson seems to have working solution with the MX Mouse.

apetersen
Community Novice

Stephanie

My Microsoft mouse has a control panel setting for the scroll wheel but that says "Change direction". Unfortunately what that actually means is if you scroll up the page goes down OR if you scroll down the page scrolls up. Whoops, this isn't what I thought it meant. It doesn't go sideways.

I have seen this "Change direction" setting in the past and always thought it was Up/Down OR Left/Right. Sorry for the poor information.

However, when I researched it, I found some scripts that could be used to modify the mouse to scroll sideways. Just google "scroll mouse sideways".

James R Henson seems to have working solution with the MX Mouse.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@apetersen , as it happens, I use the wired version of the mouse hensonj​ is using. It definitely gets the job done. MX™518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse - Logitech Support

don_bryn
Community Champion

If not fixed menus, how about "back to top" buttons?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@don_bryn ​, have you voted?

ronmarx
Community Contributor

This "always-accessible" tool pane feature is needed, not only for Help, and for frequently used navigation buttons that's the subject of this idea, but also for Canvas developers saving after changes in the editing window. Vote for that feature here: Add and/or Move Save Button for Developers

Thanx,  @ronmarx ​

P.S. While the Canvas programmer geniuses are making this change, adding HTML code commenting to the HTML editor would also be nice! HTML Code Commenting – Include It!

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

cgaudreau​ This might be what you are looking for?

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

195688_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

Shar
Community Champion

Hi hensonj​,

We added the css bits you suggested to our file, but still something is not quite right:

CourseNav-Scrollbar.pngWe're getting a scrollbar artifact (in Firefox) when there is nothing to scroll and the course nav is not snapping up to the top when scrolled.

I figure overflow-y: auto; will fix the scrollbar appearing issue.

But I don't see the ic-app-course-menu-fixed showing up at all when I do an inspect on the region:

icappcoursemenu.png

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers - Shar

hensonj
Community Novice

I'll look at it again today and see what piece I missed. Thanks for the catch!