[Gradebook] Generate Automatic Messages to students who do not submit work

I have found the "message students who..." function in gradebook very effective to nudging students to complete assignments. I suggest an option that, when you create the assignment, you can automatically choose to have the message sent to students after the turn in deadline has passed. I compare it to a "out of office" email that you might send to your colleagues. This personalized message will allow teachers to effectively use the message system and encourage student completion of work in a timely manner, without additional messages from the teacher. 

29 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@vcarmer ,  Message students who... for any graded assignment (discussions, assignments, and quizzes) is available in Free for Teachers. Please refer to How do I send a message to my students from the Gradebook? for specifics. Nudge is still in the testing phase and is not yet part of Canvas.

vcarmer
Community Participant

Thanks so much for the guide.  I did a search but must have worded my search incorrectly as I was unable to locate this guide page.

pdaughtry
Community Novice

Is the "message students who" option only available for individual quizzes and assignments in Canvas? I wouldn't mind having it for the total grade column as well.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
katevideogeek
Community Explorer

D2L Brightspace has 'intelligent agents' which allow you to essentially build your own personalised notifications that will be sent to students, based on conditions that you set. It's great that the 'message students who..' feature is now available, and this goes a little way towards that, but the power of having something that you can personalise (so it doesn't read like a robot) but still scheduled and happening regularly automatically in the background (time-saving, not requiring you to remember to do it), would be great. I would love to see more of these types of features as well as more nuanced selective release / conditional release features as while they aren't used by everyone and can be a bit of work to set up, they can really streamline things once implemented. 

nogueim
Community Member

I second that suggestion. Perhaps giving instructors the option to a number of hours before the due date/time.

luke_nguyen-hoa
Community Member

I've used the "send message to all students who have not submitted" with great success immediately after submission deadlines, so a way of automating these messages (with more options for personalisation, such as inserting the students' name) would be very helpful in reducing the workload required (and also avoid instances were I've forgotten to send the reminder for a few days!)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme