[Reports] Generate/Print Batch Progress Reports/Grades For All Students

We need a way to print progress reports/grades in batch fashion, a section at a time. This is a huge problem for our K-12 school district and the biggest complaint by far from administrators, teachers, special ed staff, and counselors/advisors. We really need a better way to generate multiple student grade/deficiency reports instead of one at a time or a CSV list. In a perfect world, if all students and parents had their own updated devices and the technological skills to access their grades, this wouldn't be an issue, but until that happens, we REALLY need this. We're going to have a mutiny on our hands.

Added to Theme

43 Comments
mjanke
Community Novice

It would be nice if these reports could be made in the following way:

1. By class (perhaps multiple classes in one printing)

2. By grade (D,F,I)

3. Entire school

shelly_twitchel
Community Novice

I think this issue needs to be resubmitted.  Teachers need to be able to print all of a student's grades, so that they can help our students stay caught up in their assignments. 

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission.  We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period.  It may contain valuable discussion and insight as this discussion moves through the voting process.

We also encourage you to check out this article that can help you maximize the exposure and support of your Feature Idea: How do I write a good feature idea submission

In the meantime, we will push this request through for revoting on October 7th! Smiley Wink

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now open for voting!

ammon_trimble
Community Novice

It takes me 20 min to look at all of the different classes for one student and print grades. If I can not generate a grade report for a student that contains all classes and assignments on one report, I want to drop Canvas and return to the SIS system. This is ridiculous! I don't have enough time to track my students grades this way.

lexa_larsen
Community Novice

I am assigned a group of students to track throughout the year.  Some of them are in my classes and some are not.  I meet with them to discuss grades and help them prioritize and make a plan if they are struggling.  Right now the only way I can check their grades is for each student to pull up his/her Canvas account and show me.  It would be EXTREMELY helpful if I (or someone at my school) could print a report for each of my students before they came to me.  Then my time would be better spent and I could focus my attention on those that need me the most. 

This is my first year using Canvas and I really like it so far, but it was obviously designed with college classes in mind.  K-12 is a totally different animal and being able to print grade reports is an absolute essential.  If a student gets in trouble the court system requires a grade and attendance report.  Right now it takes our school secretary WAY too long to access that information.  The special education teachers have to be able to monitor their students in all classes.  As a regular ed teacher I would like to be able to print reports for an entire class and send them home with notes to parents.

PLEASE find a way for us to print grade reports!

kona
Community Champion

lexa.larsen​, you might want to check out this work around - Re: Accessing all student grades... by  @James ​. It doesn't directly address the printing of the grades, but it makes accessing all the grades by student very quick and easy. [Side note, it might seem super technical (and a little taunting) but it's actually very quick and easy to implement - download GreaseMonkey (or Tamper Monkey) to your browser and click on the script at the bottom of James' post. It literally took me around a minute to get it up and working! Smiley Happy

shelly_twitchel
Community Novice

As a special education teacher it is important to track and monitor my special education students.  I know the parents of our students need to sign on as observers, but it isn't happening.  I have very few parents signed on as observers.  I feel that being able to monitor my students' grades would be helpful. 

shelly_twitchel
Community Novice

I would like to add another comment concerning Canvas.  The comments that I am sharing are from parents observing their children on Canvas.  The problem is if you have more than one child on Canvas, the courses are all listed together.  Is there a way to group each student with their own courses?  It is overwhelming for parents to see 30 different courses for three children listed together.  

kona
Community Champion

@shelly_twitchel ​, this feature idea is specifically for printing progress reports/grades. Yet, you are correct that many parents find it difficult to observe multiple students in multiple courses in Canvas. There is already a feature idea for this - - and I recommend voting, commenting, and following it so you'll be alerted to any updates!