[Reports] Generate/Print Batch Progress Reports/Grades For All Students

We need a way to print progress reports/grades in batch fashion, a section at a time. This is a huge problem for our K-12 school district and the biggest complaint by far from administrators, teachers, special ed staff, and counselors/advisors. We really need a better way to generate multiple student grade/deficiency reports instead of one at a time or a CSV list. In a perfect world, if all students and parents had their own updated devices and the technological skills to access their grades, this wouldn't be an issue, but until that happens, we REALLY need this. We're going to have a mutiny on our hands.

Added to Theme

43 Comments
dlejeune
Community Novice

With 201 students across 6 different courses, this feature is a must.  I don't have time to print out each report individually.  This is a basic feature that has been on every grade book I've ever used.

shelly_twitchel
Community Novice

I was hoping that this concerned had already been commented on or

addressed. I believe that if we could make the feature for observing

students user-friendly that more parents would monitor their

student's progress in classes. If you are observing more than one child it

is a long progress.

Thanks, Shelly

Chris_Munzo
Partner
Partner

Our Dropout Detective does not offer the ability to batch-print a group of students but we do offer a nicely-formatted way to quickly view and print a Daily Report Card for each student.  You can find us Alliance Partner - AspirEDU​ if you'd like to learn more.

Overview K-12.PNG

brueckert
Community Champion

I've just submitted a related request that dovetails nicely with this one:

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now Under Consideration.  Find out more about the idea stages at What is the feature development process for Canvas?

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey Folks!

I hope you noticed our new status. "Under Consideration". It means, we think this is a good idea and despite the fact that we can't get this done in the next 6 months, we're looking for ways to squeeze it in sometime in the future. We'll be working on some designs, will probably have questions for you, and will be hoping some of you on this chain will want to participate in some user testing to make sure we're on the right track to solving this problem.

So first round of questions: Where would you anticipate this export of individual reports to come from? The gradebook? Or somewhere else?

What types of things would you want to see on it besides grades to make sure we're giving a good summary of the student and why?

Thanks!

dlejeune
Community Novice
  • I suggest you take a look at options in one of the most used grading programs, Easy Grade Pro.  Though I realize it's a software-based program, it does have an online component (though I haven't used it).  What is helpful with EGP are the options you have when printing reports.  For most of us, I think having a current grade report based on assignments is most helpful.  However, there are many other options to choose from as you'll see from the sample pictures I've included.  I'm happy this is being moved forward, though obviously disappointed it may not be usable within the current school year.
  • With the help of our school's office manager, I have now experimented with exporting the Canvas grade book for a class as an xls. document and then I used mail merge to print reports.  However, this is a time-consuming workaround for what should be an inclusive feature directly within Canvas. 
  • Report Options EGP.pngSampleReportfromEasyGradePro.jpgReport Options in EGP.png
Chris_Munzo
Partner
Partner

If anyone needs this feature sooner than six months from now, please contact us via Alliance Partner - AspirEDU​.  Thank you!

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks Dan!

msl_adm
Community Contributor

I threw together a quick tool that ingests a gradebook CSV file and generates printable grade reports. This works for one course at a time, only - so none of the fancy stuff that others are requesting. It'll just give you a reformatted gradebook that lists grades by student. You have the option to omit assignment group totals.

Feel free to use/share it: Canvas CSV Grade Report Generator - it's not the prettiest thing, but when you print from the browser it'll at least give you page-breaks between each student's data.

Someday I would like to put this into an LTI tool...but that someday isn't today.

Feedback is welcome!

-- Matt

EDIT - we changed servers - link updated!

EDIT 2021-08-20: Moved again, link updated!