Give Access to Camera to Embed Pictures

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hello fellow Canvas users,

I was surprised to find out that students have access to their camera to record a video in the Rich Content Editor but do not have the same ability to take a picture and Embed it directly. As a math teacher to young students, I would like for students to be able to do some of their work, common core modeling on paper and then with One Click of a Button to upload that work for me to review.

It is very useful for any science and math class or for a teacher to see the students work prior to answering the question.  Teachers can use it the open response quizzes and the homework assignments and students will not have a saved picture on their Chromebook or another device. It should be a direct snap a picture in the Rich Content Editor for teacher speed grading and analyzing,

Currently,  students have to take the picture save it either in their Drive or worse, on a different website, and then find it, upload it and on and on. It's too many steps to do while a young mind needs to concentrate on the work not on how to turn it in.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Teacher Release Notes (Android 1.6)

Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.3) 

43 Comments
afogg
Community Novice

I don't think you can currently upload a video as a quiz answer either.  Correct?

nikolina_petrov
Community Participant

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 3.53.59 PM.png

If the question is an essay type then students can click on the button in red above and they can record them selfs life or they can attach a prerecorded video and it works great!

It also works anywhere there is a Rich Text Editor such as discussions, assignments, chat.

We just need Canvas to make it easier for pictures too! Please share with other colleagues. As a math teacher to middle school children it would be so much easier if would allow them to take a picture directly from the camera. Same for science, projects, and art classes.

I have gotten attachments of  science pictures, soccer players and even some more disturbing pictures when students are trying to attach already taken and stored in the Google Drive pictures.

amassals
Community Member

I agree that embedding a picture is the most essential feature for an online class. I need students to embed a picture in Discussions so other students can see it without clicking on link or uploading a file and then having to find it to post it. I'm surprised  this feature does not already exist in Canvas. It has been present in all the other learning management systems I have used.

sworrell
Community Novice

As we educators continue to use imagery more and more to communicate ideas, this feature has become necessary.

geraldine_maske
Community Novice

What is the status of this?  Teachers have been asking for camera access for at least two years on this forum.  No direct camera access from the browser is an unbelievable shortcoming.

afogg
Community Novice

I was just talking about this today.

bogardde
Community Participant

I was part of Khaki 2017 and it was on the list...but it did not make the

voting cut, much to my disappointment. But I'm still hoping that Canvas

will make it happen at some point!!

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 12:04 PM, afogg@bsdvt.org <instructure@jiveon.com>

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

For anyone reading; Khaki was a prioritization exercise where certain Canvas Community members came to Salt Lake to 'spend' a portion of our total development budget.  You can read more here: Khaki 2017: Priorities &amp; Related Ideas  and also https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/blog/2017/04/12/khaki-20-but-i-dont-even-wear-khaki 

RobDitto
Community Champion

My recollection is that Mobile: Camera Access for Embedded Images actually did make the cut for prioritization. There's still hope!

bogardde
Community Participant

I stand corrected and apologize; it did make the vote cut! I was getting it confused with another idea involving screencasting abilities for students. So yes, it is #10 of the top 10 on the list. The beginning school year chaos has muddled my brain even more than normal, apparently.