Give Access to Camera to Embed Pictures

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hello fellow Canvas users,

I was surprised to find out that students have access to their camera to record a video in the Rich Content Editor but do not have the same ability to take a picture and Embed it directly. As a math teacher to young students, I would like for students to be able to do some of their work, common core modeling on paper and then with One Click of a Button to upload that work for me to review.

It is very useful for any science and math class or for a teacher to see the students work prior to answering the question.  Teachers can use it the open response quizzes and the homework assignments and students will not have a saved picture on their Chromebook or another device. It should be a direct snap a picture in the Rich Content Editor for teacher speed grading and analyzing,

Currently,  students have to take the picture save it either in their Drive or worse, on a different website, and then find it, upload it and on and on. It's too many steps to do while a young mind needs to concentrate on the work not on how to turn it in.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Teacher Release Notes (Android 1.6)

Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.3) 

43 Comments
ewaterman
Community Member

With SO MANY STUDENTS USING CHROMEBOOKS this year, please add this feature to take a picture using the built in camera and embed it into Canvas for submitting assignments. Thank you.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed