[Gradebook] Give instructor access to the Grading History after the course ends

Currently, once a course reaches its end date for instructor access, instructors no longer have access to the grading history in the course.  According to support, this is intended behavior because the Instructors are only set to have access to make changes in their courses until the end of the term date.  There are situations where instructors need to review the grading history for grade challenges and grade changes, but currently cannot without the admin changing the Teacher end date setting.

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

35 Comments
david_langston
Community Novice

One other reason to allow faculty have read-only access to past records

is for writing recommendations -- especially when the recommendation asks

for information on particular skills, level of improvement, and ability to

handle specific materials.

hoovenl
Community Novice

This is critical for online students. If they do their degree completely online, our interactions through Canvas are the only thing we can base a recommendation on. I would like to see not only their grade, but any work they submitted.

jap98y
Community Novice

YES - for our campus, grades are not due to the Registrar until the Tuesday following the last Friday of Final Exams. Instructors need at least a week after the term officially ends to access the course and enter grades. It's not over just because it's over.

jcaraway
Community Explorer

This would be a most welcome feature! We currently have to send excel gradebooks in with our grade submissions (to keep on file in the event of a grade being contested.) I can only imagine the wild amount of variation and clutter that piles up in the spreadsheets. Having continued access to the grades (even as read-only) would be a huge boon to both faculty and the admins who have to handle the stored gradebooks. It may also push more faculty to use Canvas if it becomes the preferred method of storing grades for the state-mandated period.

marcy_goodfleis
Community Novice

We don't have access to grading history???  This will not work - there are times we need to change grades (Incomplete grades, or other issues) and we need to have the gradebooks as references.  This one is urgent!

hue334724
Community Novice

Im kinda new here and have no idea to do things here ...

jcaraway
Community Explorer

Welcome to the fold! I'm a bit new here too, but maybe I can provide some guidance. Hopefully you've had a chance to poke around by now. If you're looking for technical support, your best bet is the chat support feature in your Canvas homepage.

This section of the forums is for voting on suggested improvements or modifications to the Canvas system. We can make suggestions in another section which then are looked over by moderators(?) and then put up for vote by Canvas users here. Ones that break 100 votes within the allotted time frame are pushed forward to the development team who then work out how to implement that feature. Essentially, this is how the Canvas development team acquires feedback.

The nice part about this is we can discuss the features and amend the suggestions, adding in our own perspectives and experience. Feel free to join the discussion here or in other suggestions.

jcaraway
Community Explorer

New developments: our administration is now requiring that all of our faculty use Canvas by next semester. It's going to be very important that we have access to that grade history if we intend to use this as our gradebook system (which we need to maintain for up to 5 years for auditing purposes; we also allow up to 1 year to request grade changes.)

cholling
Community Champion

While our university policy states that faculty need to retain submitted assignments, papers, exams for 1 month following the end of the term, faculty (particularly graduate faculty) often state that they receive requests from students they had in class 5 years previously who are seeking recommendation letters for graduate or doctoral programs. Needless to say, the faculty can't remember the specifics of one student from 4 years earlier and the promptness quality of their work and their interactions with peers in the course.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey Folks,

I did a little research into this and my initial findings are that it's extremely complex and difficult to add this permissioning. I'm going to keep digging and enlist the help of some engineers to see if there's a simpler way to solve this problem. I can definitely see the need for a resolution here. Thanks for bringing it up.