Global Announcement For Specific Terms

(8)

With the release of Global Announcement Notification Option, which includes a checkbox to distribute a notification to subscribed users, I would like to suggest a possible enhancement by adding the ability to send global announcements to subscribed users in a specific Term.

Thank you, in advance, for your consideration.

Luiz

11 Comments
cms_hickss
Community Contributor
cms_hickss
Community Contributor

We have need of this right now.

Because of the caching issue with the Canvas iOS app not adding new Classes to the class list (ie, if a student was added recently and the course is published they probably cannot see the course in the app without uninstalling and reinstalling the app...).

Anyway, we needed to target students who are only enrolled in the Spring 2020 semester (term). But since we cannot do that the message had to go to anyone who is/was a student in a course at any time.

This ability is even more important with the new global notification email because that can mean the difference between sending 65,000 notifications and 150,000 notifications.

lteixeir
Community Participant

Oops! Smiley Happy I voted for it just now.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

I think both Ideas have merit and we'll see what Canvas pulls from the Ideas.

I did post information about this (particular) Idea to the other Idea to get people to vote for this one too.

BradMoser
Community Contributor

Totally agree...let's vote this thing up!  

blong
Community Participant

We came upon the need for this today with our snow day announcements.  We have students from several years ago that are receiving notifications from the global announcements (and not happy about it)

BradMoser
Community Contributor

Also, be sure to check out  Global Announcements ONLY for active courses and vote it up. I think it would have solved your issue too. Both ideas are great. 

ewelc05s
Community Explorer

We would like to restrict announcements to specific terms (intercessions terms that overlap with other terms) so that we can post an announcement for course evaluations and not confuse other students.

michelle_coots
Community Participant

Yes, please!  We have 31 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, and 5 high schools. Each school has it's own sub-account and set of terms. If I want to post an announcement that is only for elementary school teachers I either have to get crafty in my wording of the global announcement OR go into 31 sub-accounts. I want to be able to post an announcement once at the root level and select the sub-account and/or term that should get the announcement.

michelle_coots
Community Participant
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived