Global Announcements ONLY for active courses

Global announcments are great. However, for k-12 schools, once students have move from the middle school to the high school, they should no longer receive the middle school principal’s global annoucements. We had a series of middle school global announcements that we thought would be sent to only the middle schoolers but learned that anyone at any point, who had been enrolled in a course in the middle school sub-account would receive that sub-accounts global announcment. 

Basically, my request is for Canvas to add a setting to only allow global announcments for courses in ACTIVE terms for sub-accounts and not for all students enrolled in past enrolled courses. This would keep sub-account announcments seen only by those in the sub-accounts. 

Perhaps there is a simple checkbox that sub-account admins can use when posting a global announcment and choose to send to all courses (past enrollments included) or to just the current active courses. 

Until we have this setting changed, my elementary and middle school principals can not really use global announcments.    But I know Canvas does a great job listening to us users and I hope this is something that would move Canvas forward for all users. 

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-06-06) 

37 Comments
Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Hi Canvas:

Imagine an elementary student who attends grades K-3 at one school, but then moves neighborhoods and attends 4-5 at another school.   Then the student moves to middle school for 6-8.  Then the student begins high school, and attends a school for 9 and 10.   But the family moves once again, and the student attends 11 and 12 at another school.

That's Global Announcements from FIVE schools.

Teachers also move.   Teacher could be a 2nd grade teacher this year at School A.   Then move to be a 5th grade teacher at School B.  And then move to a MS or HS.   Also, Global Announcements from multiple schools.

Gives a whole new meaning to Too Much Information.

Please, please, please.....if you want us to use the tools, we need them to work better for us.

Thank you!

BradMoser
Community Contributor

Be sure to send back for this idea too! Great addition to this update. 

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Just found out that Students who have graduated and are no longer in our district are reporting that they are receiving email notifications of Global Announcements.

I thought the problem was only across schools, for active Users, as described here, but it seems to also be happening with students who are no longer in our system.

Was told we have to create a new idea for this.  

Here it is:

Stop Global Announcements for Users no longer in the District

lekern
Community Participant

This is needed also to ensure that only faculty that are enrolled in current courses are receiving global announcements. If a course has concluded, the enrollees should not receive the notification push. 

Having the announcement appear on the dashboard for users enrolled in concluded courses is ok, but they should not receive a push notification.

BradMoser
Community Contributor

Deactivated user  @sakhtar  we need this now more than ever! 

hilary
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Heard!  Thank you, Brad!

BradMoser
Community Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm always happy to help help. 

sakhtar
Instructure
Instructure

Yes, this is being escalated via multiple channels. 

david_amore
Community Participant

hi everyone,

we would also very much like this implemented.
The current situation is horrible.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Global Announcements and notifications are only displayed to users with active enrollments in the current term. For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26858-canvas-deploy-notes-2020-06-06