[Global Announcements] Select One or Multiple Sub-Accounts from Root Level for Announcement

Problem statement:

It would be nice if when making a Global Announcement to be able to select which sub-accounts should receive the announcement. Many times I need the announcement only to go to High School and not Elementary Schools.  I have around 19 Sub Accounts.  For example, I have eleven elementary schools, when making a Global Announcement to only my elementary schools, I currently have to copy and paste the announcement to all eleven sub-accounts.  It would be nice if there was an option within there to select multiple subaccounts similar to selecting which sections to post to on a course announcement. 

Proposed solution:

When making a course announcement, you have the ability to select All Sections or select Individual Sections that will receive the announcement. By making this feature available, then System Admins would have the ability to send to select Sub-Accounts. Currently you have to copy and paste to each Sub-Account. Checkboxes to select sub-accounts to receive the message or post to options like in the course announcement would be beneficial.  

User role(s):

admin

Added to Theme

8 Comments
asizemore
Community Participant

Just ran into this specific problem the other day between with academic program announcement going to a non-academic program cohort so it was irrelevant and caused mass confusion. Would love to see this rolled out!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @walkervh -

Global Announcements can be made at the sub-account level. 

As described in theHow do I create a global announcement in an account? article:

When users are not enrolled in any courses, they can view announcements from the root account. They can only view sub-account announcements once they have been added to a course within the sub-account. Courses do not have to be published for users to view sub-account announcements.

After opening the sub-account, you should be able to click Settings and then Announcements. This is done on a sub-account by sub-account basis. I hope this helps!

walkervh
Community Explorer

Yes, I am aware that you can make Global Announcement for Sub-Accounts.  As an Admin, my suggestion is that when creating a new Global Announcement, that you can select which Sub Accounts receive the announcement.  I have around 19 Sub Accounts.  For example, I have eleven elementary schools, when making a Global Announcement to only my elementary schools, I currently have to copy and paste the announcement to all eleven sub-accounts.  It would be nice if there was an option within there to select multiple subaccounts similar to selecting which sections to post to on a course announcement.  Checkboxes to select sub-accounts to receive the message or post to options like in the course announcement.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Hi @walkervh -

Thank you for the reply and for clarifying what you need. With those additional details, this thread is Open.

ChrisMedina
Community Participant

Yes this would be very useful. I have canvas separated into sub accounts. 2 programs Pierce FS/PY and JBLM and under those they are each broken up into year/term (yes WA uses terms) then session 1 and 2( we have 2 start times during a term). some times just the active students which would be the current term needs the announcement or just JLBM etc. so being able to choose all the sub accounts the announcement gets put in would be very helpful. especially when it comes to clean up. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

Community Participant
Problem statement:

Example - Right now if we send an announcement to all students, it ends up going to most of our staff and faculty too because they are students in courses we have in subaccounts dedicated to development, college programs, departments, groups, etc. The work around is to post that same announcement in all the other subaccounts, but it would be more efficient to be able to choose which subaccounts from the main admin page instead of having to post it over and over in individual subaccounts.

Proposed solution:

Announcements would benefit from allowing us to choose which subaccounts we send an announcement to, and the role in that subaccount.

User role(s):

admin