Google Collaborations: Organization and Management

Managing multiple Google Docs in the Collaborations function is currently a turn-off because Collaborations simply creates a long list of Docs. (see image below)

My current Collaboration screen

The above example is for my one 9th grade English class. This is a sampling of only 3 assignments created for 7 of my 9 small groups. But as you can see, using Collaborations for small group work is nearly impossible due to the organization. Management is impossible in this format. As it stands now, Collaborations seems like it only works for an entire class Doc, which I rarely use in my class.

Furthermore, when creating a Doc for a small group, the title of the Doc is listed, but the group name is not. So, I cannot see which group members are assigned to which Doc in this format. Again, management becomes impossible. 

It would be best if I could create folders for each of my small groups within Collaboration. Then, I could create Docs within the folders and easily manage my small groups. It would eliminate this long list of Docs as well as the tedious act of going through this list (below) each time I create a new Doc for a group.

229907_download (1).jpg

Going back to the list each time I create a Doc gets confusing because it requires me to keep track of where I am on the list. If I could create a Doc within a group folder or even create a Doc and drag it into the group folder, it would be easier to manage.

3 Comments
lcastle1
Community Member

I agree. At the very least, the opportunity to create folders for each assignment would be really helpful. 

jbrady2
Community Champion

@mseeker  I am not certain if this is exactly the same as what you were asking for here, but I would like to have folders in the actual Collaborations tool so that I can "tidy-up" the area. I began using Collaborations last semester with my online Developmental Writing courses to have a way to provide instantaneous feedback as they write their essays, but, like you, I find the Collaborations page becomes cluttered after the creation of several documents. So, while I'll continue to use the tool, it would be a lot nicer if it weren't so cluttered.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.