Google Docs graded with Speedgrader tool

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. July 1, 2015 - Wed. October 7, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I would love to be able to have my students submit a Google Doc, Slide, Drawing or Sheet in Speedgrader and for the ability to use the Crocodoc tools to annotate directly on the file. Perhaps somehow it would be able to create a simple PDF of the submitted file so it can be annotated. This would make it so students on iPads or laptops could create a Google Doc and directly submit it to Canvas without having to first download it as a Word file to submit, which is a pain in the rear-end on an iPad. Plus it defeats the point of a Google doc and the ability to collaborate.

Grade and annotate on a submitted Google Doc via Speedgrader tool, both tablet and web version please.

Comments from Instructure...

Please find more information about this feature in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-08-29)

29 Comments
lane_worrall
Community Novice

Chris,

I completely agree!  We have many teachers who use the native gdoc commenting tools inside of speedgrader and it works very well.  The commenting with Crocodoc made it a little tougher for students to access the teacher's comments. 

I was extremely disappointed to see that url submissions will no longer be displayed inside of Speedgrader in the Beta Release notes.  Since you already have the option to open a link in another window, it seems like it would be better to leave the functionality as is so that the teacher can decide whether they want to load in Speedgrader or in a new tab.

nketpura-ching
Community Novice

I am also disappointed that I can no longer load Google Docs directly in SpeedGrader. I hate having to open files up in a new tab. When I have 100 students' work to grade, that's 100 tabs that will be opened/closed!

Please bring back the ability to load Google Doc/URL submissions in Speedgrader or streamline how Google docs are supported on Canvas.

clong
Community Champion

erinhallmark​ I remember voicing the same concern nketpura-ching has over the summer when all our teachers were not using Canvas (due to vacation) now that school is starting up again, I'm hearing and will hear about how this 'improvement' made will negatively impact many more users than it helps. And I think it's entirely posssible to have the best of both worlds. Who do I need to redirect these concerns to? Deactivated user​ Deactivated user​ Deactivated user​  @scottdennis ​ please help :smileyconfused:

Here's a video I made demonstrating why this update made student-centered​ learning harder to do using Canvas.

SEE:  2015-08-20_14-07-17.mp4 - clonghb's library

Also please reference Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-07-06)

Specifically

"Love the new Submit & ReSubmit Buttons, the recurring calendar events, excused assignment notifications and the ability to open up the URL submisssion outside of SpeedGrader.

Let's be careful though not to take away core features that teachers have come to rely on and expect! You could always open up a URL submission in a new window via holding down ctrl or command as you clicked on the link or even right clicking. As I test the UI feature for doing this in beta we have now lost the ability to load the URL inside of SpeedGrader. This is what most of us prefer to do most of the time. The only reason we open it up in a new window or tab is because it may not load properly for some websites that are persnickety. Please don't take the option to load inside SpeedGrader UI away!

I've always found it odd that both of the URL links to the assignment submission go to the same page. How about making the first link load inside SpeedGrader and the second outside (as it does now in beta).

Like:

71454_pastedImage_0.png90846_pastedImage_0.png

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Everyone,

Check out beta. Smiley Happy

Erin

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey  @clong ​, I just checked beta as a test student and I saw a fix that almost exactly matches your suggestion. Click here to see a screenshot. When you load the assignment, you see two links above the previewed image. The top link loads the webpage inside SpeedGrader and the second link opens up the page in a new tab. We made the second link more explicit with the words, "(View in a new tab)". Please test it out when you get a chance and tell us what you think. I'm sure Deactivated user​ will be happy to answer any further questions. As always, thanks for your feedback!

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Sorry about that change. Yeah, it was technically a bug fix that had some unhappy consequences. We are now going to offer both options, similar to the way you mentioned,  @clong ​. One will open the URL submission in speedgrader and one will allow the submission to be opened in a new tab. It's in Beta, going to Production in our next release.

clong
Community Champion

YES!!! That is supercalifragilisticexpialipandalicious!

Thank You for listening and acting on our feedback, I can't tell you how happy that will make our teachers and the "fires" this will prevent! I tested the beta and I think it is an improvement over what we had before the change! I'm still hoping for a user preference/option to autoload URLs when desired in Canvas Studio: Speedgrader 2.0​ but this puts us back into good shape once the beta goes to production.

Chocolate Chip Kudos erinhallmark​ Deactivated user​ Deactivated user​ for reaching out and your cat like reaction times!

91071_pastedImage_0.png

kona
Community Champion

Thank you!!!!!!​ That's awesome news!!!!!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This feature is complete!

Thank you to everyone that contributed and voted!

Please find more information about this feature in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-08-29)

lhughes
Community Participant

Woohoo!!!