Grade Book Update???

0 Likes

Just some thoughts that might be helpful for others teaching from the Canvas format.

1.  Automatically insert zeros for assignments not submitted.  Students get a false confidence with their grades if those unsubmitted assignments are left blank all semester.  

2.  Include at the far right of the grade link a column indicating the total points a student has earned to date.  Both, percentage and total points would be helpful for them to know where they stand at any one point if the class.

These may have already been considered and there might be a reason for not including them.

Have a super Merry Christmas.

Jim Raack
West Los Angeles College.
1 Comment
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@raackjd  Thanks for sharing these ideas. We're not able to move this forward for discussion because it combines multiple suggestions in a single submission. Please read through How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? for guidance on writing singular prompts for individual requests.

For a points-based gradebook (i.e., one that does not use weighted assignment groups to calculate the course grade), instructors can switch the Total Grade column to Display as Points to see the total points. Details are in the Switch to Points section of  How do I use the Total column in the Gradebook?