Grade Override as a course feature

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The Grade Override feature for higher ed courses with multiple TA's /  instructors is problematic in the fact that one instructor can turn it on and adjust students' scores but the other TA's / instructors will not see that unless they turn it on as well. This also prevents instructional designers from being able to flip this on during the course build out, if they knew it was going to be needed, as it currently wouldn't show for any of the TA's and instructors. I know that this will cause confusion for our faculty as well as more support tickets for my team.

I would love it if the grade override feature behaved like every other course feature, if one person turns it on, it's on for everyone (with the rights to see the gradebook for that course). I know Canvas strives for consistency and this seems to be inconsistent with all other course feature behavior.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-04-20)

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @joshua-stuart ‌, I have some good news for you. We plan to change the feature option for Final Grade Override sometime soon, probably in the next few releases. When that happens, and as long as the New Gradebook is enabled as a feature option in the account, the available settings for FGO will be OFF | ALLOW | ON —and when the admin enables ON, it will achieve just what you’ve requested. With that in mind, it’s not necessary to vote on this because it’s in the works.

We've marked the idea for archival, and encourage you to keep an eye out for this in an upcoming release:  Release Notes: Canvas‌ 

kmatson
Community Explorer

Actually it is worse than that. All other graders won't see it in the Canvas grade book and they can't adjust any settings in Settings to see it. It says they are on.

no final grade override visible

Can

Thank you,

Karen Matson

kmatson
Community Explorer

OK they are on in Settings but they can change the Gear icon in the grades area so not as bad as I thought and it needs to be visible to everyone.

Any way you can make the columns line up?

Thank you,

Karen Matson

vanzandt
Community Champion

I haven't had a chance to look yet, but it appears this is now available for testing in Beta. 

Canvas Release Notes (2019-04-20)

Or directly: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16493-canvas-release-notes-2019-04-20#jive_content_id_Final... 

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Perfect timing! We just pushed an update to insure our SIS could take/see the override grade when used to import grades from Canvas.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-04-20)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@joshua-stuart  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @kmatson  Thank You , vanzandt Thank You  & cms_hickss Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed