Grade Post Policy for Imported Assignments

0 Likes

I am working with another instructor who shares her assignments with me. However, this instructor has a Grade Post Policy where it automatically posts the grades and I have mine set to manual because I like to post the grades all at the same time. 

The problem is that when I import her assignments, it keeps her Grade Post Policy and automatically posts my students' grades. I tried to "Hide" the grades when I saw this happening in SpeedGrader, but that doesn't work. In fact, the only way to hide the grades is to change the Grade Post Policy in each individual assignment (there is a Grade Post Policy that you can assign for the class and a separate Grade Post Policy for each individual assignment which will override the class Grade Post Policy).  Unfortunately, the only way to change the individual Grade Post Policies is to go onto the Gradebook page, click on the three dots on the column of each assignment, and to change each Grade Post Policy one at a time. 

When I first noticed this issue, I actually thought something was going wrong with Canvas because some of my assignments were set for manual and others for automatic. It turned out that the assignments I created myself were set to my Grade Post Policy (manual) and the ones I imported were set to the other instructor's Grade Post Policy (automatic). Unfortunately, there is no visible way to know if the assignment is set for manual or automatic until you actually start the grading process (or you could manually check the Grade Post Policy for each assignment in Gradebook). 

As a feature change, can I suggest that assignments (and quizzes and discussions, etc.) that are imported into your Canvas course be given the same Grade Post Policy as the new course has designated rather than keeping the Grade Post Policy from the old course it came from. It seems to me that most teachers have their own preferences for how they would like to post grades and this preference should always be the default.

Tags (2)
2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@cindavis  You are correct: this is the current designed behavior, and it's mentioned in the blue box in How do I copy content from another Canvas course u... - Canvas Community 

If you copy all content or include course settings in selected content, the grade posting policy from the original course will override the grade posting policy in the new course. Additionally, imported assignments will retain their assignment posting policy from the original course.

The existing idea that most closely aligns with what you're hoping to see is Import Content: Allow selection of Course Settings - Canvas Community and your use case would make an excellent addition to that thread. We'll archive this one to keep the conversation unified.

cindavis
Community Explorer
Author

Thanks, Stefanie!