cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grade as automatic zero an unanswered question in a Quiz

Grade as automatic zero an unanswered question in a Quiz

0 Kudos
(4)

When assigning short-answer questions on a Quiz, unanswered questions are flagged as unanswered and, if unanswered, are not given an automatic grade of zero for that question.

I can't off-hand think of why an unanswered question would be anything other than a zero, but even if it would make sense to allow for that possibility, there should at least be a setting that would set unanswered questions to be graded automatically as zero rather than only flagged as unanswered.

13 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

aroyal9
Community Member

Yes, this would be brilliant!  This would simplify a lot of the grading for quizzes that have this question type.  If it's blank, it's worth zero--the extra step of having to scroll and place the zero is tedious when a default zero for an unanswered question would solve that problem.

FionaWilson

That's a definite vote for yes from me!

Aimee-

Yes please - this would be fabulous. It would save a LOT of time!

KatieLawrance

Yes please!  This would be very welcome 🙂  

AmandaMoran-Sol

Yes please - this would be a big time saver

Wrongspecies

This is an excellent idea, please implement as soon as possible. Many students attempt some but not all of a quiz and manually putting zeros in can be half of one's marking feedback time... for something which is of (literally!) zero benefit to the student.

Chris_Naylor

This is a no brainer - why would there be marks available for doing nothing??

NickParry

This is an excellent idea. Can't understand why it is not the default already.

MalcolmIles

Unanswered should definitely be set to zero

KoriArmstrong

Hopefully, this becomes part of Canvas. 

NicciPerkins

What's not to like about automatic marking, bring it on😉

talway
Community Member

I concur with the previous comments.  At the very least, make it automatic.   However, the option in the quiz settings would be nice.