cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grade by Question on one page

Grade by Question on one page

0 Kudos
(10)

I'm not sure if this sort of functionality would even be possible, but it would be a very useful feature for a Grade by Question option to show all answers for a particular question on one page. For example, all student responses for question 1 together on one page, click "next page" for all responses to question 2, and so on, rather than clicking through each student's exam one at a time to see the particular response. This would significantly reduce the number of clicks needed, and would also help check responses for similarities to see if students might be working together behind the scenes on exams. 

An example where this would be helpful: we recently had an exam with 70 students consisting of 40 questions - multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, dropdowns, and about 5 essay-style. For the essay answers (and fill-in-the-blank, because typos happen), using the current Grade by Question functionality we had to click through each student about 8 times (over 560 clicks). If all responses to each question showed on a single page, it would have only been 40 clicks - one click per question, and we could better compare responses. Plus it would be more efficient due to less loading time between pages.

6 Comments
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open for Conversation

Surveyor

This would be incredibly useful! The same thing is available in classic quizzes and makes grading so much quicker!

Surveyor

This would be useful, but only if it could also "unshuffle" questions that were in a group. I like to put my questions in question bank groups so that the order they appear on the exam for students is random, in order to prevent academic misconduct. I was very disappointed to learn that Canvas cannot grade by question if you use this feature. Especially since it seems like a fairly easy fix (Canvas can do the quiz statistics for each question, even if they were shuffled in a question group, so it seems that Canvas is capable of "unshuffling" the order of the questions.)

Navigator

@crs367 @colsonmanning @ES4 and those who rated this idea, please also consider adding your ratings or comments here:

Surveyor II

Can the next update please include the option to view all submissions for a single question on the same page?

Currently, the grade by question feature requires a user to (1) type the number of points, (2) click Update Scores or hit Return, (3) click the arrow in the student menu.

If instead users were able to see all submissions for a question on one page, then we could type the number of points for each student and THEN update scores a single time. Moodle has this type of function, and it is very efficient.

If not possible, could there at least be a warning if you type in the number of points and forget to click Update Scores?

Or barring that, could functionality of shortcuts to move to next student, previous student, submit grade, make comment be improved?  I have found the shortcuts only work to move forward and backwards while viewing grades; after making an edit the shortcuts fail.  For example, when I type in points and submit them by hitting Return, the forward shortcut ("j") does not work.  If forward, backwards, and submit could happen by keystroke, then at least grading would not involve moving between mouse and keyboard for every single student.

Thanks!

Surveyor

This type of format would not be hard to implement and would vastly easy the grading of essay style questions, especially if a grading rubric could be implemented with this layout.