[SpeedGrader] Grade discussion posts and attachments with DocViewer

All discussion posts and attachments (MS Word, PPT, PDF files, etc.) should be displayed in SpeedGrader like an assignment so that teachers can use mark-up tools to add comments to those posts and attachments using Crocodoc DocViewer.

Background: In some of our courses, we use discussion forums in two ways (in addition to regular discussions among students):

1. Research activities: In which students submit substantial posts that require the observance of the APA Manual formatting guidelines.
  2. Peer review/instructor preview activities: In which students attach their research assignments for review by their peers and instructors for feedback before final submission.

This feature would be useful for commenting discussion posts and discussion attachments like one would grade an assignment using Crocodoc DocViewer. The ability to add comments to those posts and files would make the LMS more useful.

Added to Theme

35 Comments
lynn_greenough
Community Participant

Any updates on this request?

jksnyder
Community Novice

This absolutely needs to be fixed.

bennej28
Community Participant

Good Day, 

Where is this now in the Product Radar stage? 

Thank you.

Best,

-Janet 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

bennej28
Community Participant

HI Renee, 

So you will only be prioritizing by Oct. 2018. So after 10/18 will this possibly be giving one of this, and what is the responses timeline? 

• Yes, this idea has been prioritized for development during this cycle
  • No, this idea has not been prioritized, but will be considered in future rounds if it remains in the overall top 10% of voted ideas.
  • No, we will likely not do this (and why)
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @bennej28  

I just did some double checking, and this idea is not in the top 10% by vote list.  So it was not included in the set of ideas that were shared with the product team for their prioritization activities.  Please do hear me when I say that this does not mean that product is not aware of the idea, it just means that it will not be getting an update per the formal process we have created to address a chunk of top voted idea in this round.

kbeachy
Community Novice

Hi Renee,

I finally found this discussion to vote on (I voted yes). I am having some difficulty understanding precisely what DocViewer allows me to annotate.  I have not been able to put annotations on quizzes, exams, assignments, or discussions Since y'all took away some of the functionality, grading has slowed to a crawl for me.  I am currently downloading everything into a Word Document, using comments (markup), saving it as a new document, then uploading it back to Canvas.  I asked our Canvas gurus, and was told DocViewer does not allow annotations for everything.  Unfortunately, I cannot figure out what it does allow.  Am I doing something wrong?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@kbeachy  

Does this document help to clarify what can be annotated and what cannot?

How do I add annotated comments in student submissions using DocViewer in SpeedGrader? 

rpirtle
Community Novice

I actually just started a different discussion on this very issue, but was directed here. I cannot agree more! I think it is critical for instructors to be able to provide feedback in Speedgrader. Right now, we have the ability to post grades in Speedgrader for discussion question responses, but no way to highlight any particular issues in those same discussion questions. I think it would be a great idea to help students learn that, even in their responses, they should be mindful of grammar, spelling, and word choice.  I would love to be able to, and to see my instructors, be able to provide specific feedback in Speedgrader, should they want to do so.

don_quick
Community Member

Actually, when they changed annotation tools you could, but the student couldn't see, and it was eventually pulled. About a year ago, I do believe. 

With 157 up votes and two years since the original post, I was wondering what the status is in getting this fixed? You all were so close! What's the time lime for implementation?

Don Quick

Colorado State University